Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
iPhone 3gs, iOS 4.1, baseband 6.15.00.

I'm trying to unlock it for T-Mobile.

I have unlocked it correctly and jailbroke it correctly.

I jailbroke it using redsn0w rc8, or the latest one. I then went into cydia, did the necessary upgrades, restarted my phone, turned OFF 3g, kept cell data on, and then installed Ultrasn0w 1.2 via Cydia. I rebooted my phone and the service says "Searching..."... and I can't find any service. Help pleaaaaaaaase

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Reboot, respring, reinstall ultrasn0w until it works. Sometimes this must be done a few times.

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
When this happened to me, I did what the second poster did. The only difference is that I thought of that solution myself.

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
What's the latest version of Cydia?

I restored my iphone but redsn0w kept crashing when I tried to jailbreak it, so I used limera1n. When I installed cydia, it was version 1.0.3222-73 and it won't update

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland

I restored my iphone but redsn0w kept crashing when I tried to jailbreak it, so I used limera1n. When I installed cydia, it was version 1.0.3222-73 and it won't update

Latest version is 1.0.3366-1

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
how many times do I do this

o.o

so I've rebooted, resprung, ultrasn0w, resprung, reboot, and did the same thing for the past 30 minutes o.o

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011

Cydia version is irrelevant here, and you have to update Cydia manually.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
You can use Cyder 2 to load ultrasn0w directly into your phone. I have tried that few times and it worked.

May be try that way and see if it works.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Apparently, it sometimes takes up to 15 mins to find service for the first time after installing ultrasn0w and inserting the sim. sometimes it also helps to insert the new sim during the boot up process.

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
You can use Cyder 2 to load ultrasn0w directly into your phone. I have tried that few times and it worked.

May be try that way and see if it works.

I might look into this more, thanks.

Apparently, it sometimes takes up to 15 mins to find service for the first time after installing ultrasn0w and inserting the sim. sometimes it also helps to insert the new sim during the boot up process.

I don't have access to another sim right now, and hm.. 15 minutes? sigh. that's weird.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Are you sure the SIM is installed in the correct direction and fully seated?

Are you sure ultrasn0w is installed?

Are you sure 3G is still turned off?

Remove and reinstall the SIM if you must. While I've had to reboot, respring, reinstall several times, I've never had the difficulty you are experiencing.

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Are you sure the SIM is installed in the correct direction and fully seated?

Are you sure ultrasn0w is installed?

Are you sure 3G is still turned off?

Remove and reinstall the SIM if you must. While I've had to reboot, respring, reinstall several times, I've never had the difficulty you are experiencing.

Positive the sim is in - otherwise it would say "No Sim"

Positive ultrasn0w is installed - has a check next to it and the options "Reinstall" and "Remove"

I do replace the sim every once in a while because I'm texting people on my other phone

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Every time you take the SIM out you create the potential to have to keep repeating these steps. Seems like this is your problem.

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Hm. Well, I took it out every like 30 minutes to respond. But that only happened twice. The second time I just kept it out and texted from my other phone.

Would you mind giving me like step by step instructions on what to do, or does it sound like what I did was right?

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
You disgrace Vietnamese people.

90% of the time when you remove your SIM from the unlocked iPhone you'll have to do these steps again.

1. Have the phone on, normal, with SIM in and you'll see No Service or whatever.

2. Take the SIM out, wait 10 seconds, put the SIM back in. It should still say No Service or whatever it says.

3. Turn the phone OFF. Take the SIM out when the phone is OFF and wait 10 seconds and put it back in.

4. Turn the phone back on, should be Searching...

5. Wait a few minutes and then it will say T-Mobile

helloviet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011

90% of the time when you remove your SIM from the unlocked iPhone you'll have to do these steps again.

1. Have the phone on, normal, with SIM in and you'll see No Service or whatever.

2. Take the SIM out, wait 10 seconds, put the SIM back in. It should still say No Service or whatever it says.

3. Turn the phone OFF. Take the SIM out when the phone is OFF and wait 10 seconds and put it back in.

okay, well how long is it supposed to "Search" before it says tmobile?

because it hasn't changed for a while.

also, if you didn't read, I never took out the sim while I was respringing and reinstalling ultrasn0w until like 30 minutes after

oh, it changed, it now says no service

Last edited:

Shiggity

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007

I'm glad you were banned. Not only did you not solve the problem, you were unnecessarily rude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.