Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
soni2926
macrumors member

iphone 3g and 4 sim cards, same?

Hi,
I currently have an Iphone 3g and am thinking about renewing my existing at&t plan to get the iphone4, but that one I'm going to be giving to someone else. so would i be able to take the sim card at&t/apple would provide me for the iphone4 and use that in my 3g? as the iphone4 i'm going to give to someone overseas so they don't need the sim card that comes with it.

Also does anyone know if the latest OS version has be unlocked?

Thanks.
soni2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

The iPhone 4 comes with a microsim card which is smaller than what is used in your 3GS. You will need an adapter to use the microsim card in your 3GS.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
martiansoldier
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
Hi,
I currently have an Iphone 3g and am thinking about renewing my existing at&t plan to get the iphone4, but that one I'm going to be giving to someone else. so would i be able to take the sim card at&t/apple would provide me for the iphone4 and use that in my 3g? as the iphone4 i'm going to give to someone overseas so they don't need the sim card that comes with it.

Also does anyone know if the latest OS version has be unlocked?

Thanks.
You can buy the iPhone 4 without activating the micro SIM that it comes with and this will leave your current SIM card active on your iPhone 3G. By doing this you will not have to worry about swapping SIM's or going to the AT&T store to get a new SIM for you or whoever will be getting your new iPhone 4.

The potential problem is getting the store clerk to do this for you. I had a store clerk at Radio Shack do this for me because I had to send the new iPhone 4 to my brother and I didn't want him to not have service for 3 days until his phone was delivered.
martiansoldier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
soni2926
macrumors member

oh..are the tmobile sims for example the micro size so they fit into the iphone4 or those also require an adapter? As I thought with the unlock anyone could stick a sim in to get it to work.
I guess i could try to upgrade mine and then tell them i lost it or had it stolen and wanted to go back to my old 3g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiansoldier View Post
You can buy the iPhone 4 without activating the micro SIM that it comes with and this will leave your current SIM card active on your iPhone 3G. By doing this you will not have to worry about swapping SIM's or going to the AT&T store to get a new SIM for you or whoever will be getting your new iPhone 4.

The potential problem is getting the store clerk to do this for you. I had a store clerk at Radio Shack do this for me because I had to send the new iPhone 4 to my brother and I didn't want him to not have service for 3 days until his phone was delivered.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
oh..are the tmobile sims for example the micro size so they fit into the iphone4 or those also require an adapter? As I thought with the unlock anyone could stick a sim in to get it to work.
I guess i could try to upgrade mine and then tell them i lost it or had it stolen and wanted to go back to my old 3g.
As far as I know, the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the US that uses a microsim. So yes, you will need an adapter. I actually lucked out and got one for free from Best Buy. I was asking for them in their phone section, and while they don't sell them, the guy just gave me one. I used it so I could take a cheaper phone with me when I recently went snowboarding at Copper Mountain.

Here is a link to an adapter being sold on Amazon. It is $2.67 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/AFC-Trident-Mi.../dp/B003THJQVU
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
soni2926
macrumors member

Thumbs up

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
As far as I know, the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the US that uses a microsim. So yes, you will need an adapter. I actually lucked out and got one for free from Best Buy. I was asking for them in their phone section, and while they don't sell them, the guy just gave me one. I used it so I could take a cheaper phone with me when I recently went snowboarding at Copper Mountain.

Here is a link to an adapter being sold on Amazon. It is $2.67 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/AFC-Trident-Mi.../dp/B003THJQVU

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone