Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
soni2926
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
iphone 3g and 4 sim cards, same?

Hi,
I currently have an Iphone 3g and am thinking about renewing my existing at&t plan to get the iphone4, but that one I'm going to be giving to someone else. so would i be able to take the sim card at&t/apple would provide me for the iphone4 and use that in my 3g? as the iphone4 i'm going to give to someone overseas so they don't need the sim card that comes with it.

Also does anyone know if the latest OS version has be unlocked?

Thanks.
soni2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
The iPhone 4 comes with a microsim card which is smaller than what is used in your 3GS. You will need an adapter to use the microsim card in your 3GS.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
martiansoldier
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
Hi,
I currently have an Iphone 3g and am thinking about renewing my existing at&t plan to get the iphone4, but that one I'm going to be giving to someone else. so would i be able to take the sim card at&t/apple would provide me for the iphone4 and use that in my 3g? as the iphone4 i'm going to give to someone overseas so they don't need the sim card that comes with it.

Also does anyone know if the latest OS version has be unlocked?

Thanks.
You can buy the iPhone 4 without activating the micro SIM that it comes with and this will leave your current SIM card active on your iPhone 3G. By doing this you will not have to worry about swapping SIM's or going to the AT&T store to get a new SIM for you or whoever will be getting your new iPhone 4.

The potential problem is getting the store clerk to do this for you. I had a store clerk at Radio Shack do this for me because I had to send the new iPhone 4 to my brother and I didn't want him to not have service for 3 days until his phone was delivered.
martiansoldier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
soni2926
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
oh..are the tmobile sims for example the micro size so they fit into the iphone4 or those also require an adapter? As I thought with the unlock anyone could stick a sim in to get it to work.
I guess i could try to upgrade mine and then tell them i lost it or had it stolen and wanted to go back to my old 3g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiansoldier View Post
You can buy the iPhone 4 without activating the micro SIM that it comes with and this will leave your current SIM card active on your iPhone 3G. By doing this you will not have to worry about swapping SIM's or going to the AT&T store to get a new SIM for you or whoever will be getting your new iPhone 4.

The potential problem is getting the store clerk to do this for you. I had a store clerk at Radio Shack do this for me because I had to send the new iPhone 4 to my brother and I didn't want him to not have service for 3 days until his phone was delivered.
soni2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
oh..are the tmobile sims for example the micro size so they fit into the iphone4 or those also require an adapter? As I thought with the unlock anyone could stick a sim in to get it to work.
I guess i could try to upgrade mine and then tell them i lost it or had it stolen and wanted to go back to my old 3g.
As far as I know, the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the US that uses a microsim. So yes, you will need an adapter. I actually lucked out and got one for free from Best Buy. I was asking for them in their phone section, and while they don't sell them, the guy just gave me one. I used it so I could take a cheaper phone with me when I recently went snowboarding at Copper Mountain.

Here is a link to an adapter being sold on Amazon. It is $2.67 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/AFC-Trident-Mi.../dp/B003THJQVU
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
soni2926
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Thumbs up

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
As far as I know, the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the US that uses a microsim. So yes, you will need an adapter. I actually lucked out and got one for free from Best Buy. I was asking for them in their phone section, and while they don't sell them, the guy just gave me one. I used it so I could take a cheaper phone with me when I recently went snowboarding at Copper Mountain.

Here is a link to an adapter being sold on Amazon. It is $2.67 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/AFC-Trident-Mi.../dp/B003THJQVU
soni2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 sim cards for iphone? Globug iPhone 5 Nov 9, 2013 08:38 PM
iPhone 5s sim cards! swish2351 iPhone 2 Sep 13, 2013 04:56 PM
Do new tmobile iPhone 5 come with SIM cards in the box? K1ngkev1n1 iPhone 9 May 7, 2013 05:24 PM
Prepaid iPhone 4S SIM cards Yerman iPhone 2 Jan 26, 2013 05:17 PM
SIM cards for iphone 4 and 4S questions achtungfemme iPhone 1 Dec 12, 2012 09:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC