Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Does anybody know if there is an application that lets you look at SMB shares on the iPhone? I have tried the obvious by typing the smb URL into safari, that doesn't work.

What I'm trying to achieve is to access movies and TV shows in iTunes compatible format on my NAS drive via my iPhone and then use Airplay to send it on to my Apple TV 2. :)

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
I'm kind of looking for the same thing. I know for the iPad there is an app called filebrowser that lets me view files i have on my windows server, but there is not an equivalent for the iphone. I wish they would make one!

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I found an app called iexplorer, i can see the contents of my airport extreme disk, and play media on my iPhone through it via SMB. Works quite well...

I then tried to use airvideoenabler to send the video on to my apple tv, but get an error message on the apple tv. Anyways, getting closer to a solution... Maybe it'll work once airplay is natively enabled in third party apps in 4.3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.