Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajpslp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Ok I ordered my Iphone , huge mac fan with 2 mac computers (with apple care on both) . I have android droid now with insurance for $8.99 or so on the phone. New iphone its $10 a month.. I couldnt find anywhere what is exactly covered thru verizon insurance .. Also does apple care cover broken screens vs Verizon's insurance ? I couldnt really find any info on either plan. Does anyone out there know what is exactly covers ? My inital idea is to cancel verizon and buy the apple care for $59 for 2 yrs.. BTW i bought the phone thru verizon's site does this affect me for getting apple care..???
thanks

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Ok I ordered my Iphone , huge mac fan with 2 mac computers (with apple care on both) . I have android droid now with insurance for $8.99 or so on the phone. New iphone its $10 a month.. I couldnt find anywhere what is exactly covered thru verizon insurance .. Also does apple care cover broken screens vs Verizon's insurance ? I couldnt really find any info on either plan. Does anyone out there know what is exactly covers ? My inital idea is to cancel verizon and buy the apple care for $59 for 2 yrs.. BTW i bought the phone thru verizon's site does this affect me for getting apple care..???
thanks

I don't believe that Apple Care covers screen replacements if the phone is accidentally dropped. It does cover any hardware issue with the phone. I know that when I purchased my 3G from Best Buy, a few years back, they had an insurance plan that covered accidental drops for $15. If I were you I would check with Apple and see specifically what Apple Care covers. But If it was me, I would get square trade or some other kind of insurance that covers drops, liquid spills, etc. The phone already comes with a one year warranty by itself, and most people are upgrading after a year anyway. It seems that drops and spills are more frequent ways of damaging you iPhone than the internal hardware of the iPhone itself.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
You can buy Applecare regardless of where you purchase your iphone. So yes, you can buy it for the iphone you purchased at Verizon. No, applecare does not cover accidental damage. It covers manufacturer defects.

thanks

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Just put $11 in a cookie jar each month and go from there. Remember your deductible with the Verizon warranty is $169.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Just put $11 in a cookie jar each month and go from there. Remember your deductible with the Verizon warranty is $169.

What?? Where have you seen this? The deductible was only $90 for my Droid Eris...

For $169, plus the monthly fee, then the insurance is absolutely not worth it when you can just get a replacement from Apple for $199. What a joke.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
What?? Where have you seen this? The deductible was only $90 for my Droid Eris...

For $169, plus the monthly fee, then the insurance is absolutely not worth it when you can just get a replacement from Apple for $199. What a joke.

Not if your phone gets lost or is stolen

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is really the way to go if you have the discipline to not touch it. It's basically a warranty but if you never need it you get to keep your money. Brilliantly simple.

Heck, you could even make a bank account just for device/appliance repairs (my wife and I already do this for our cars).

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011

I don't have a link to reference right now, but there was information about Asurion coverage on the features and data page of the iPhone order process.

If you have the 16GB model, it's $169 for the deductible. For the 32GB model, it's $199.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I don't have a link to reference right now, but there was information about Asurion coverage on the features and data page of the iPhone order process.

If you have the 16GB model, it's $169 for the deductible. For the 32GB model, it's $199.

Wow, $199 for a damn phone? That's absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering I have a $500 deductible on my CAR INSURANCE. Pass on that, for sure. I hope no one is dumb enough to pay that.

If I followed that same percentage (~28.5%) with my car insurance, that would equal out to a $10,000 deductible. LOL@that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.