Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Is it possible to buy an 11" with either 64GB or 128GB storage and 4GB of RAM at Apple Retail Stores? I know some stores sell "ultimates", but I really don't need the 1.6 processor upgrade that comes with the "ultimate". I'm looking to buy one tomorrow (my Apple stores are currently closed or I'd call them). Thanks in advance!

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Not that I have seen. The stores generally seem to carry just the "ultimate" configurations along with the base models. The rest are build to order options.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
As far as I know, no they do not. I tried requesting one in my search at some Apple stores in my area and they only had the base and ultimates.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Two of the stores in my area carry them. It's a large metro area which makes a diff. There's a lot of high end Macs in our stores & they sell rapidly.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Yes you can purchase the base model with 4GB upgrade at any Apple store. But if you wanted 4GB ram and the larger SSD, then you are forced to buy the Ultimate.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Yes you can purchase the base model with 4GB upgrade at any Apple store. But if you wanted 4GB ram and the larger SSD, then you are forced to buy the Ultimate.

Thanks. Apple Online Store told me that stores don't carry anything besides the base models with 2GB of RAM, they told me I would have to order from the online store to get an 11" with 4GB of RAM. They told me that the only options I have is a base model or an "ultimate" which would be 128 storage, 4GB of RAM, and a 1.6GHz processor. They said there are only base models with 2GB of RAM, or ultimate with 128 GB, 4GB of RAM, and 1.6GHz processor. I live in Northern NJ and called the Apple 5th Avenue Store since it's opened 24 hours and my stores were closed. They said they do not sell any models with 4GB of RAM except for "ultimates". I can only get 4GB by ordering through Apple's Online Store.

Between the Apple Online Store rep and employee at 5th avenue store contradicting each other. I guess my best bet is to call my Apple Retail Store tomorrow to see what they have.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Hi Jimmie,

What he Apple online store told you is absolutely wrong. Whether this person was ignorant, or wanted you to buy online, who knows.

It's the same thing as when you call support about a know issue you are experiencing, and seeing hundreds or thousands of other people with the same issue on forums at Apple's web site, and Apple says your the first they have heard of it.

Also try asking an in store Apple employee some questions about product, and they have no clue. Go to an Apple store and you will be able to purchase from the store the configuration you want. They are selling three models. Base, Base with 4GB, Ultimate with 1.6 Ghz, 4GB ram, and 128 GB ssd.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hi Jimmie,

What he Apple online store told you is absolutely wrong. Whether this person was ignorant, or wanted you to buy online, who knows.

It's the same thing as when you call support about a know issue you are experiencing, and seeing hundreds or thousands of other people with the same issue on forums at Apple's web site, and Apple says your the first they have heard of it.

Also try asking an in store Apple employee some questions about product, and they have no clue. Go to an Apple store and you will be able to purchase from the store the configuration you want. They are selling three models. Base, Base with 4GB, Ultimate with 1.6 Ghz, 4GB ram, and 128 GB ssd.

Thanks. I'm going to my Apple Store today. I'll post back how it goes. Thanks for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.