Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you all setup users in Mac OS X?

• I always run as admin user

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I have a normal user account for daily use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • got root !!!! ... HAHAHAHAHA ... FOOLS !!! <deep demonic laugh>

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Used to run as admin/root user but learned my lesson the hard way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Users ??? There is no one else here ... ?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hi there,

I was wondering how many of you run Mac OS X as the Admin user (created during installation). And how many of you created an additional normal user account for their daily work?

I know the root user is disabled to protect us from ourselfs. But how wise is it to run your daily stuff as a normal user?

I am interested in your comments on security ;-)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Or do you want to know who is running admin cuz that would make them easier for you to hack? :p

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Or do you want to know who is running admin cuz that would make them easier for you to hack? :p

Yeah .. that's the kind of paranoid thinking I like best :):):)

But no, I'm not out to hack people, just interested in the security of my own system and the way others go about securing theirs. If they do at all.

Just the learning phase entering the world of Unix. I do Novell system administration myself for a couple of companies and am so accustomed to being admin all the time, that I feel locked if I'm not.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have created normal user profiles for testing mostly but have admin access under normal circumstances. I have used root only to do the minimum of things that could not be done otherwise and this seems to be corrected in Jaguar. See Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
errrm. unless you log in as root you are basically a "regular user" anyways. even if you have admin privs, the only way you can change things system wide is thru giving your password. basically a GUI version of "sudo".

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Got to agree with sparkleytone here. I don't think there is anything wrong with running as an Admin user. It is way different from logging in as Root, as the OS will still ask you before letting you do something potentially stupid, and make you type in your password.

I don't think much is to be gained by creating a nonpriv'd account for everyday use.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I always run admin. With windows there are a couple deffinite security issues with doing that, but i havent noticed any in OSX, you need to enter your password for everything you do even on admin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.