Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So yesterday I turned on my MacBook after not using it for 2 days. I saw a weird progress bar and then noticed it booted in Safe Boot. I thought it was weird so I just logged in, then rebooted it. I went normal that time. So then I noticed it was working pretty slow.. thinking something was up I tried shutting it down and turning it on. I was wondering if it would boot up in Safe Boot again. It then did the boot up in Safe Boot.

I tried running a repair disk / permissions...this did not seem to help. I figured fine..I'll just restore with Time Machine. Then I thought, if I had some corrupt file it may come back and cause the problem again.

So last night I just reinstalled Snow Leopard, and shut it down after the install. Tonight I'm planning on just turning it on and using the migration assistant to pull my apps / data from time machine.

Is this the best way to do this? I never did a full restore w/ time machine, only pulling back some files I deleted. I was just worried if I did a full restore from time machine, if I had a corrupt system file, that file would come back.

So that being said, what Im doing .. is that the best course of action? Could it be something hardware related?? I hope not my warranty ends in about a month...sheesh

Edit: Can a Mod change the title to "Help, Mac Keeps Booting in Safe Boot"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.