Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Router is a Belkin N+, which seems to work fine with every other wireless device in the house (though my fiancee did have some intermittent wifi issues with her older Macbook).

Basically, every time I wake from sleep, the wifi will work for a few seconds then drop -- it still shows that it's connected, with up to full bars, but pages won't load until I turn off Airport and then turn it back on. Then it will work for a few minutes before the cycle repeats itself.

It seems to be getting worse, though it's possible I'm just becoming more and more annoyed by it.

In Windows 7, the connection is rock solid, but I actually like surfing the web in OSX because of three-finger swipe controls.

So before I make an appointment with the "Genius" bar, and the ensuing argument with an H-bag THAT will entail, are there any quick solutions y'all know of?

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
I have a Belkin N router as well, and even my HP Mini does this... I believe in a flaw in the router.

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
My MSI Wind, Samsung Captivate, and Wii and my fiancee's MBA and iPhone all seem to do fine with it. Her old Macbook did this a bit and my MBA is doing it A LOT in OSX, but never in Windows 7.

Given that, I'd be hard pressed to put the blame on the router.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Well if that is the case, then yes it would be safe to say it the computer. I'd just take it I'm a for a genius appointment.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've noticed the MBA wifi + OSX is very picky as well. Works great at my house, with the exception of the dialog box that frequently pops up asking me which network to connect to, even though there is only one in range that has ever been associated with it. That's one issue. The other is at my cousins house who has a Sonicwall wireless router/firewall, it did the same thing you are describing. I'd have to turn airport off and back on again to restore the connection. Eventually I tried power cycling the router even though none of the Windows 7 machines had an issue, but sure enough that fixed the connection drops.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I had a Belkin N with exactly the same problem. Prior to that I had a Netgear which worked fine, but burnt itself out after a year or so. After two Netgears I tried a Belkin. Never again. Should have read the reviews on Amazon.

The problem is largely with the OSX drivers as the same card under Windows doesn't suffer from the same problem. OSX and Belkin don't always get on - particularly with N routers it seems. I solved the problem by ditching the Belkin for an AEB.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I have issues with Belkin as well, and I think it's less mac and more because belkin is just crap.

It won't let me connect with friends on XBL, and it drops out on my iMac.

as soon as I can I'll replace with an Airport Extreme just because I have mostly apple products, otherwise I would go Cisco.

St. G

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Well, I've reset my router just to see if there was any improvement, even temporary. Nope.

Given the superb performance this thing has with so many devices, both wireless and through my home gigabit network, I think it's silly to proclaim that "Belkin is crap" just because Apple can't figure out how to make their devices work reliably with the brand.

I'll consider getting a new router -- though NEVER one of Apple's until they can step up and provide some better performance -- since I see that some of the newest dual band models are offering better range and throughput than the N+, which was king of that particular hill a year and a half ago when I bought it, but for now, I suppose I'll just start doing all my web surfing in Win 7. Just I do all my everything else there. Wow, OSX just fell from a one-trick pony for me to a no-trick pony. Oh well. The MBA is still a kicking piece of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.