Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hi
There is a glowing button at bottom left of this display with an icon that looks as if its the brightness, however when I touch it, it lights up, but the screen brightness doesnt alter.

Ive looked at display preferences and I cant fine a brightness slider or any other sliders to alter.

Can anyone help?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
That button is supposed to open Display preferences, but if your monitor isn't being detected properly I can see why it wouldn't. If it's a PowerMac that it's plugged into, I'd suggest shutting off the computer, unplugging it, and checking the video card to make sure that it's snugly in place (pull it and replace it, if you can) - be careful with the 'foot' lever! Then plug your machine/monitor back in and see if the display is properly recognized. :)

Edit: Start easy though, try replugging your monitor first.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks, Joe G4
Ive tried what you suggest but still doesnt open up prefs direct from the glow button..
I can go into screen prefs via the system prefs window but there isnt any slider to alt brightness, theres only options to change calibrartion.
Still stuck.
If all else fails I do have a PC screen (in my old G4) but the cable (plug into card) differs.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
In order for the brightness controls to work, you need to connect the USB cable to the computer. If the cable is connected, then the display is probably malfunctioning.

stuartm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
In order for the brightness controls to work, you need to connect the USB cable to the computer. If the cable is connected, then the display is probably malfunctioning.
Ive since went back and discovered that more info may help some to help:
I have the big encased plastic Display that cam with many G4s
Im running a 1.8Ghz G5 with 10.5.8 leopard
The display connector is of ADC type hence doesnt have any additional USB etc and it pulls the power from the Mac itself.

Problem:
The display is dim.
Cant find any controls to increase brightness, the icon on bottom left off screen doesnt trigger any controls.
There is no option to change brightness on the display prefs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.