Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:52 AM   #26
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
We desperately need a sticky with PPC information to avoid a lot of the redundant "Can I put snow leopard on my G4?" posts.

It's got my vote for sure. If not, someone should bump it once a week.
And the inevitable "Leopard on a G3?" and "Can I put an Intel CPU in my PowerBook/PowerMac G3?" posts as well - would probably be a lot more helpful than us all answering the questions so often.
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:38 PM   #27
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
Guess mods don't want this to be sticky, and prefer lots of posts with the same questions...
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:47 PM   #28
stroked
macrumors 6502

maybe there are no mods for the PPC forum
stroked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:13 PM   #29
uller6
macrumors member

Thanks so much for posting this...I was looking for a good Bluetooth card to put in my powermac so I could go wireless keyboard and mouse...
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:56 PM   #30
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

Yes mods sticky pls....
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:39 PM   #31
Riky.loebis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanneDC View Post
Yes mods sticky pls....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked View Post
maybe there are no mods for the PPC forum
yes pls sticky mods,,
that's important for newbie like me,,
Riky.loebis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:50 PM   #32
nickn
macrumors 6502

I have a YouTube suggestion besides using mactubes to add to the list if you want to. To get low CPU usage while watching YouTube you need to use safari and have the develop menu enabled. You enable this by going to safari preferences and then the advanced tab and then check Show Develop menu in menu bar. Then open the develop menu on the top right of the screen and click user agent, then Safari iOS 3.2.2 - iPad. When you open YouTube, videos will play in QuickTime on the YouTube page and you will still be able to see comments and have a nice browsing experience. Videos should play with a very good frame rate and there should be little video stuttering. This works very good on my 1.33ghz iBook G4.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 AM   #33
uller6
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
I have a YouTube suggestion besides using mactubes to add to the list if you want to. To get low CPU usage while watching YouTube you need to use safari and have the develop menu enabled. You enable this by going to safari preferences and then the advanced tab and then check Show Develop menu in menu bar. Then open the develop menu on the top right of the screen and click user agent, then Safari iOS 3.2.2 - iPad. When you open YouTube, videos will play in QuickTime on the YouTube page and you will still be able to see comments and have a nice browsing experience. Videos should play with a very good frame rate and there should be little video stuttering. This works very good on my 1.33ghz iBook G4.
Hey, thanks for the tip Nick. I'll have to give this a try...
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:33 PM   #34
adcx64
macrumors 65816

This is great.
adcx64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:02 PM   #35
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

another bump to make sure that PPC are still alive
skinniezinho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:09 PM   #36
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
Yes it is...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:10 PM   #37
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
Or you could go to youtube.com/html5 and join the beta. Then all the other websites you go to won't present themselves as mobile websites. This works the same way without the convoluted messing around with user agents.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:01 AM   #38
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

pushing it up for i-Toy people, that ask for Lion to run on PowerPCs and won't find it, because they do not know how to search.
Cox Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:02 AM   #39
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
pushing it up for i-Toy people, that ask for Lion to run on PowerPCs and won't find it, because they do not know how to search.
Then they won't look in here either.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:01 AM   #40
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Then they won't look in here either.
I hoped, if it was closer to the top, they might find it by chance, when opening the subforum
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:06 AM   #41
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
I hoped, if it was closer to the top, they might find it by chance, when opening the subforum
Bumping for no real reason is not really allowed.
When someone posts some "stupid" question like the ones you often seem to see, just post a link to this FAQ. That's how I do it.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:57 PM   #42
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Since the Apple "available firmware updates"-list does not feature all, I would like to keep some that are not listed here, as some kind of a reminder

The Apple "available firmware updates"-list http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1395

SuperDrive issue: http://support.apple.com/downloads/P...ive_Update_1_0 (System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.1 or later * Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio), Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver), or Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver 2002) with an internal Apple SuperDrive)

NVIDIA Graphics Card firmware for GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX TwinView, GeForce3 oder GeForce4 MX: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL663?viewlocale=en_US (required when running 10.2 or later)

MDD Fans "wind tunnel": http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1175?viewlocale=en_US

That could be helpful as well http://www.apple.com/de/support/powermac/g4/
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:14 AM   #43
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

Shout out for MintPPC

Excellent thread, lots of killer info here. OP mentions Ubuntu PPC, which I found buggy and a poor performer on my ibook. There is also MintPPC, a Debian installation with a LXDE desktop GUI on top of. Its lightweight, fast as hell on a decent G4. Its not for every user, install is commandline, no flash of course, but the developer has backported miniTube for some youtube playback capability. He's also backported Iceweasel 5 and is working on a Linux Mint 11 version now. Its by far (and I mean by far) the best PPC linux I've ever seen.

http://www.mintppc.org

check it out. User experiences and "I got MintPPC working on a" in the forum are particulary helpful for xorg files and the like.
Imixmuan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:04 PM   #44
MAC MAN JW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imixmuan View Post
Excellent thread, lots of killer info here. OP mentions Ubuntu PPC, which I found buggy and a poor performer on my ibook. There is also MintPPC, a Debian installation with a LXDE desktop GUI on top of. Its lightweight, fast as hell on a decent G4. Its not for every user, install is commandline, no flash of course, but the developer has backported miniTube for some youtube playback capability. He's also backported Iceweasel 5 and is working on a Linux Mint 11 version now. Its by far (and I mean by far) the best PPC linux I've ever seen.

http://www.mintppc.org

check it out. User experiences and "I got MintPPC working on a" in the forum are particulary helpful for xorg files and the like.
Looks like that might be the last version of mintppc if he does not get a new powermac

"Hi all,

I demolished my third PowerBook Pismo two days ago as I had to swap disks too many times (broken hard disk controller?). I don't have any PPC machine left to continue my work on MintPPC. I am looking for some volunteers to pay a donation to me so I can buy a seond hand G4 desktop. I am happy with 100 euro in total. Once I have the money I can buy the new machine and continue working on MintPPC 11.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jeroen Diederen aka Linuxopjemac"
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:16 PM   #45
zen.state
Banned

Unless you're a hardcore Linux person then any older OS X will be much better for the average user. I have used PowerPC Linux, Yellow Dog Linux, Black Dog Linux and Ubuntu (many versions from 6-10) and none of them compare to OS X.

Virtually all people buy Macs to run Mac OS.
zen.state is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:37 PM   #46
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen.state View Post
Unless you're a hardcore Linux person then any older OS X will be much better for the average user. I have used PowerPC Linux, Yellow Dog Linux, Black Dog Linux and Ubuntu (many versions from 6-10) and none of them compare to OS X.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'd much rather use Tiger than any current linux distro.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:14 PM   #47
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

bump =)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:53 AM   #48
Marcush1286
macrumors member

Zen,

I have Yellow Dog Linux, but how do I get the G5's wireless card to be recognized? Also, the sound does not seem to work either.. Do I have to download from YDL's website the drivers for the airport card and sound chip on the G5 Quad to get them to work? I am not sure why they advertise YDL to work out of the box with all of Apple's hardware in the G5 Quad. It plainly does not support everything. I did notice that the fans were quiet, very quiet upon boot up into YDL, but since I can't use my airport wireless and or sound, its become useless and there I went back to using Leopard again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen.state View Post

Marcush1286 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:25 AM   #49
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcush1286 View Post
Zen,

I have Yellow Dog Linux, but how do I get the G5's wireless card to be recognized? Also, the sound does not seem to work either.. Do I have to download from YDL's website the drivers for the airport card and sound chip on the G5 Quad to get them to work? I am not sure why they advertise YDL to work out of the box with all of Apple's hardware in the G5 Quad. It plainly does not support everything. I did notice that the fans were quiet, very quiet upon boot up into YDL, but since I can't use my airport wireless and or sound, its become useless and there I went back to using Leopard again.
I never used YDL, but in other distros if you connect your machine to wired internet it may download the necessary packages and enable it for you.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:01 AM   #50
adcx64
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcush1286 View Post
Zen,

If you do not understand how YDL works, you shouldn't run it. believe me, Leopard will run 10x better as its optimized for the hardware!
adcx64 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs