Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Got an external hard drive formatted Mac OS Extended, OS 10.6.6 on a brand new Macbook Pro. I copied some folders over from a previous external hard drive and all of those folders will not let me write to them but I can read. A little pencil with a slash mark appears in the bottom right corner of the finder window when in those folders too (see attached). I can create new folders in the root level of the drive and those do not have the pencil with slash and work fine.

Selecting get info on the folders or the drive iteself I see that:

-Nothing is locked
-in permissions my name, admin (who is me as well), staff, and everyone has read & write permissions
-ignore ownership is checked (tried unchecking, no difference)

I tried disk utility to verify and repair disk. No difference either. For some reason, repair permissions is grayed out.

Any other suggestions? These folder contain older photos I want to edit but I cannot save any changes to them! Thanks.

Attachments

• drive.png
    drive.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,432

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
1. Get info on the external.
2. Check "Ignore Permissions on this Volume"

You should be fine now.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
1. Get info on the external.
2. Check "Ignore Permissions on this Volume"

You should be fine now.

It's been checked the whole time. Still see pencil with slash and unable to write to those folders. All accounts have r/w permissions but yet still see that icon and unable to write.

Verified and repaired permissions on startup drive and still didn't resolve the issue.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Of course it didn't.

What are the permissions on those folders? Can't help if I can't see the permissions.

Trying everything here.

Permissions on those folders on the external drive are set to r/w for me, admin (who I am), staff and everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.