Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FartsVsZombies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

So I erased all content and settings on my iPhone 3G on iOS 4.1

Now it is stuck on the apple logo and won't show up in iTunes.

I've tried tiny umbrella but it doesn't show up in there either. Redsn0w does see it when I put it into DFU and attempts to rejailbreak but at the end it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to put it into DFU mode then restore it in iTunes. Never tap any of the reset buttons on a jailbroken iDevice.

FartsVsZombies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Thanks, but it doesn't show up in iTunes. Even when in DFU.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will always show up in iTunes when in DFU mode. Unless there is a hardware problem. Most likely, you aren't putting it into DFU mode properly.

FartsVsZombies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011

Hi intell,

From the stuck apple logo I hold down the menu button for five seconds, then both the sleep and menu buttons until it turns off. Then I start iTunes with the iPhone plugged in, hold down the sleep button for five seconds, then both buttons for 10 seconds, then let go of the sleep button. Nothing happens. If I do the same in redsn0w the iPhone will enter DFU. (I just tried it and now it's trying to jailbreak again.)

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
ok, to get to dfu do this:

while stuck on apple logo, plug into itunes

hold home and power button at same time.... keep holding

Apple logo will turn off... but keep waiting because apple logo will turn back on again, thats the problem... so keep holding

iPhone will then enter dfu go ahead and restore via itunes (unfortunately we lose the base band and firmware)

it's gonna be much harder to sell now :(

FartsVsZombies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011

Thanks einmusiker.

I tried that and it came up with the
connect to iTunes graphic. I think that means it's in recovery mode and not DFU? But anyway it's further than I got before.

iTunes still didn't recognise the iPhone but a dialog box did pop up saying iTunes couldn't connect to server. So I connected to the internet and tried again. This time iTunes detected the iPhone in recovery mode and I attempted to restore to a custom firmware I made with PwnageTool.

The process seemed to stall saying "preparing iPhone for restore" and then an error popped up.

I'm going to try putting the iPhone in DFU again but make sure I'm connected to the internet.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Why don't you guys just get any number of programs that will hold your hand and walk you through dfu mode: greenpoison, pwnagetool, redsnow....

FartsVsZombies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011

Redsn0w will try to jailbrake the phone (and fail) immediately after DFU.

Pwnage tool normally works better to get the phone into DFU but...

At the moment the phone is stuck in recovery and even after kicking it with tiny umbrella it goes straight back.

--
Update!

I finally managed to sort it out. If it helps anyone else here's what I did:

• reinstalled original iOS 4.1 from iTunes
• used most recent redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 to put phone in DFU
• restored to custom iOS 4.1 I originally created in Pwnapple
• downloaded ultrasn0w from cydia
• restored settings in iTunes

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.