Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
edit: Sorry. To be clear I am using handbrake.

I ripped a few of my DVD's that I own, Big Lebowski and pretty much the rest of the Cohen Bros. movies.

I Ripped to MP4, using an import preset I got from Lifehacker.com back when ATV2 came out that I have been using on all downloaded stuff. I have had no issues with any previous rips but have had issues with several of my dvd's having no sound through my AppleTV.

If I playback via my computer with quicktime or VLC, they have sound without issue. I can even output HDMI/Audio via my minidisplayport to my TV and the sound is fine.

Anyone have suggestions on anything I can try to solve this?

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I ripped a few of my DVD's that I own, Big Lebowski and pretty much the rest of the Cohen Bros. movies.

I Ripped to MP4, using an import preset I got from Lifehacker.com back when ATV2 came out that I have been using on all downloaded stuff. I have had no issues with any previous rips but have had issues with several of my dvd's having no sound through my AppleTV.

If I playback via my computer with quicktime or VLC, they have sound without issue. I can even output HDMI/Audio via my minidisplayport to my TV and the sound is fine.

Anyone have suggestions on anything I can try to solve this?
I have had the same issue when converting some .avi files to .mov files. I preview the video in iFlicks and if there is no sound in the preview, I know I have to use Handbrake.

I recommend you try using Handbrake, rip to a .m4v format and see if you have the same issue.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I have had the same issue when converting some .avi files to .mov files. I preview the video in iFlicks and if there is no sound in the preview, I know I have to use Handbrake.

I recommend you try using Handbrake, rip to a .m4v format and see if you have the same issue.

Can't believe I didn't specify... The above sentence should read "a Handbrake import preset I got from Lifehacker.com"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.