Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
So I downloaded the update to 4.2 and just as it was about to finish (it was on Updating Firmware) it came up with error 1013 can't update... so I clicked restore and update (since it's the only thing it will let me do) and it came up with the same error... 1013 can't restore.

Did trying to update my OS to 4.2 brick my iphone??

should mention I was on 4.1 jailbroken with limerain before this happened... and everything was working perfectly! (I KNEW I should have just stayed on 4.1) :(

Can anyone help?? I can't be without my phone as I do not have a land line! And there are no apple stores around here!

EDIT: it'x fixed. Had to uncheck the Cydia host thingy in TinyUmbrella then it worked.

Last edited:

tcaver

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
So I downloaded the update to 4.2 and just as it was about to finish (it was on Updating Firmware) it came up with error 1013 can't update... so I clicked restore and update (since it's the only thing it will let me do) and it came up with the same error... 1013 can't restore.

Did trying to update my OS to 4.2 brick my iphone??

should mention I was on 4.1 jailbroken with limerain before this happened... and everything was working perfectly! (I KNEW I should have just stayed on 4.1) :(

Can anyone help?? I can't be without my phone as I do not have a land line! And there are no apple stores around here!

Edit: so I unchecked the box "set hosts cydia on exit", and I'm still having issues...

EDIT: it'x fixed. Had to uncheck the Cydia host thingy in TinyUmbrella then it worked.

Hey, so I'm having the exact same issue. I was upgrading from a JB state in 4.1 (used limera1n) and now after updating I'm getting that 1013 error. Just to be clear, you just unchecked in tinyumbrella, "Request SHSH from Cydia", then restore and updated and it went?

I'm kind of a tinyumbrella noob myself, but do you have to run the TSS server too?

Thanks!

Edit: I got it fixed too. For anyone else who has this issue, do what Synergie said. And also go into the hosts file in windows/system32/driver/etc, and edit the host file or comment any line that has gs.apple.com. the only line I had not commented was 127.0.0.1 localhost (it was something like that). After I saved and closed that, restored and updated again, and didn't have any issue. (PS. credit goes to Max on jailbreakqa.com for the help!)

Last edited:

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Just to be clearer than I was (sorry LOL):

Close iTunes
Open Tiny Umbrella (with iphone connected)
Go To Advanced Tab
Uncheck the box where it says to automatically set host to Cydia
Close Tiny Umbrella
Open iTunes
Restore / Update

I didn't edit any host files (I am on a Mac... don't know if that makes a difference though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.