Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

Will Whatsapp ever have delivered/read receipts?

Similar to what Kik and BBM have? This is the only thing preventing me from using Whatsapp so does anyone know?
jw nyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
EvanLugh
macrumors 68000

When you send a message, 1 arrow appears (message sent). 2 arrows/ticks will appear when it's been read.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Maskusee
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLugh View Post
When you send a message, 1 arrow appears (message sent). 2 arrows/ticks will appear when it's been read.
+1

Whatsapp already has the features you are asking about.

inho, best text messenger out there.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Jeff Flowerday
macrumors regular

No you guys are wrong.

Double check mark from a iOS whatsapp user means the message was delivered to the client it doesn't mean it was read.

You could leave whatsapps running in the background. Walk away from your phone and all you friends are going to get double check marks from your phone automatically.
Jeff Flowerday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:21 PM   #5
EvanLugh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
No you guys are wrong.

Double check mark from a iOS whatsapp user means the message was delivered to the client it doesn't mean it was read.

You could leave whatsapps running in the background. Walk away from your phone and all you friends are going to get double check marks from your phone automatically.
Erm no, you're wrong. Do a search there are plenty of resources and feedback on forums. Although the whatsapp faq states "2 ticks - message succesfully delivered to the device of the chat partner. it means having the client open.
It will send a push notification however again unless the chat window has been opened it'll only have 1 tick (sent to the server).
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:44 PM   #6
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLugh View Post
Erm no, you're wrong. Do a search there are plenty of resources and feedback on forums. Although the whatsapp faq states "2 ticks - message succesfully delivered to the device of the chat partner. it means having the client open.
It will send a push notification however again unless the chat window has been opened it'll only have 1 tick (sent to the server).
Wow I didn't know this. Are you sure about this?!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:53 PM   #7
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

After reading the FAQ on their website, I still think you're wrong.

Quote:
1 check - message successfully delivered to the server.
2 checks - message succesfully delivered to the device of the chat partner.
Nowhere does it say anything about being read by the chat partner.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:55 PM   #8
EvanLugh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw nyc View Post
After reading the FAQ on their website, I still think you're wrong.

Nowhere does it say anything about being read by the chat partner.
no it doesn't, but it should. Just test it out, do a little research, whatever.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:03 PM   #9
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

Just tested with a Blackberry user and I can confirm that it has nothing to do with when the recipient reads the message. The 2 checks happen as soon as their device is notified of a new Whatsapp message.

Now what's interesting and what probably confused EvanLugh is that an iPhone app can only remain open for 10 minutes MAX (app store rules). The reason he most likely thought it was when the message was read is b/c if an iPhone user receives a message after the app is closed (after not being opened for 10 minutes) there is no way for the Whatsapp server to know to report the 2nd check mark until the recipient re-opens the app (which makes it seem like it's when it is read).
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Jeff Flowerday
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw nyc View Post
Just tested with a Blackberry user and I can confirm that it has nothing to do with when the recipient reads the message. The 2 checks happen as soon as their device is notified of a new Whatsapp message.

Now what's interesting and what probably confused EvanLugh is that an iPhone app can only remain open for 10 minutes MAX (app store rules). The reason he most likely thought it was when the message was read is b/c if an iPhone user receives a message after the app is closed (after not being opened for 10 minutes) there is no way for the Whatsapp server to know to report the 2nd check mark until the recipient re-opens the app (which makes it seem like it's when it is read).
Exactly!!! Leave it running in the background and the double checks appear even if you haven't read the message in the whatsapp interface. Eventually it times out and the single checks happen until whatsapp is awoke from hibernation again.

Double checks in no way means read on iOS just like I said initially, It means the whatsapp app is running in the foreground or background.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; Feb 8, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Jeff Flowerday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:12 AM   #11
ek9max
macrumors regular

Whatsapp doesn't confirm READ messages. Period.

Check on liveprofile. I think it's gonna be the next big thing. And yes, it does confirm READ messages.
ek9max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Maskusee
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek9max View Post
Whatsapp doesn't confirm READ messages. Period.

Check on liveprofile. I think it's gonna be the next big thing. And yes, it does confirm READ messages.

I believe LiveProfile is a different animal. Its more social, which isnt a bad thing.

But you have to add friends pin with liveprofile, with Whatsapp, you use your phone number.

BTW, im having a difficult time accessing the privacy policy on liveprofile from my iphone safari browser, anyone skimmed thru it?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskusee View Post
I believe LiveProfile is a different animal. Its more social, which isnt a bad thing.

But you have to add friends pin with liveprofile, with Whatsapp, you use your phone number.

BTW, im having a difficult time accessing the privacy policy on liveprofile from my iphone safari browser, anyone skimmed thru it?
Liveprofile seems like the closest thing to BBM that I've tried. Its REALLY fast and is supposedly getting group chat by the end of the month. Very impressed.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:20 AM   #14
jkb
macrumors regular

just to clear up a few things:

double checkmarks DO NOT mean the message has been read. on a BlackBerry, Nokia, and Android devices our application is always running, even if in "suspended" state. this is different from iPhone behavior where you have to launch the application to generate double check marks.

so it is very much possible that when sending a message to a BlackBerry, Nokia, and Android device, you will see a double check mark but the message has not been read.

we also have no plans at the moment to introduce true read receipts.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:01 PM   #15
jw nyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb View Post
we also have no plans at the moment to introduce true read receipts.
Is there a reason you guys won't introduce read receipts?

Also my biggest complaint about Whatsapp is that when users get a new phone or uninstall the app, there is no way to know who is currently still "online." I know you can't log out of the app but if the app has been disabled on a device then it should show the user as unable to receive messages. More than half of my contact list no longer has the app & it's annoying to have to sort through them!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #16
RISM
macrumors newbie

So if I get it right, for an iPhone the single tick versus the double tick is just to indicate whether or not the recipients app is up & running ie not in standby mode? Also whats the way to know if you have been blocked if the other person is on an iPhone device?
RISM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps