Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTMiPower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
yellow, i finally got my money and wonder to purchase an antivirus protector, i want to get the best one for me i now their are many apps for the mac and so many big business that have a antivirus, i got two apps already but i'm not sure to use them.
1. Mackeeper ($)
(i didn't install the virus protector yet)
:apple:
2.iAntivirus (free)
(i got, but i feel like its to weak, is it?)
just hoping to get the best info from this forum's opinion.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You really don't need one, but if you're convinced you do, under no circumstances use iAntivirus. It's some of the worst software ever written for Mac. It will slow your computer down just as much as a virus would if they existed for mac

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
just hoping to get the best info from this forum's opinion.
The best recommendation is to read the links posted by simsaladimbamba. Rather than simply buying an app before understanding the need for it, equip yourself with knowledge. Then you can make an educated decision about anti-virus apps
...simply because im paranoid
The cure for paranoia is knowledge. Read the links.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
The best recommendation is to read the links posted by simsaladimbamba. Rather than simply buying an app before understanding the need for it, equip yourself with knowledge. Then you can make an educated decision about anti-virus apps

The cure for paranoia is knowledge. Read the links.

I never trust myself.
It's like carrying a condom in ur wallet, I know she's dirty, and maybe I'll actually wear it.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I never trust myself.
It's like carrying a condom in ur wallet, I know she's dirty, and maybe I'll actually wear it.

You should never trust a condom in your wallet, look at what happens to credit cards inside a wallet. They get misformed and crack :eek:

I've never used an antivirus and I don't wear condoms, still healthy *cough cough*

Seriously though, I've drudged my Mac through some pretty bad sites and it's still running like a champ. Keep it updated and you'll be fine.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
The best AV software available is installed between your ears :)
That`s all you need on a Mac at the moment.
Don`t install things you don`t trust, and if it looks too good to be true, it is.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's folklore that you can only contact web malware from dubious sites.
I don't know who ever claimed that, but it's false. It's just that dubious sites are more likely to contain malware, but they're by no means the only source.

Last edited:

dwhynman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I use paralleles without a boot camp partition to run windows 7 on my imac and MBP. Can I get a virus on my computer while running windows and what will happen to my computer if this happens?

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
I have been using os x for 2 years now, never ran any antivirus program on them and never had an issue. don't randomly install crap that asks for your password and you should be fine. as for the condom issue i never found one that is comfortable to wear most dont fit right!...lol :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.