Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
The only way I get badges on my App Store icon is to open the app, then click on updates. Then, it will check and tell me if any updates are available.

My wife and daughters phone gets this information without them actually going into the app.

Anyone have any idea why?

I don't have App Store listed under notifications, so not sure how to get this behavior from the app.

Cosmo

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I get the exact same thing you mentioned. Never really bothered me, but sometimes I would be surprised how many updates are just waiting after I open the app store. This started about a month ago.

IP4 jailbroken on 4.1

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I get the exact same thing you mentioned. Never really bothered me, but sometimes I would be surprised how many updates are just waiting after I open the app store. This started about a month ago.

IP4 jailbroken on 4.1

Like you, this started a while back. I'm thinking longer than a month. I'll click on it, and find I have 15 updates. The other devices I mentioned show badges throughout the week without getting into the actual application. So, I'm not sure what's going on here.

It's not a big deal, but I'm certain it's not working like it was meant to. Really hope someone has a solution...but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going crazy.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
When is the last time you synced to iTunes? I haven't synced for about 2 months, I might sync just to see if that fixes anything.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
When is the last time you synced to iTunes? I haven't synced for about 2 months, I might sync just to see if that fixes anything.

I sync about 1 or 2 times a week. I just sync'd tonight. That's what reminded me to ask the question.

Don't know if this is related, but my MBP won't show updates either, unless I click on apps in the library. Very strange.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I've had this issue on my iPhones since they first released the app store, just got used to it I guess

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Mine has never done this either, would be nice though, as I don't check the store for updates every day, and also get like 10 updates at a time.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I sync about 1 or 2 times a week. I just sync'd tonight. That's what reminded me to ask the question.

Don't know if this is related, but my MBP won't show updates either, unless I click on apps in the library. Very strange.

Yea that is strange.

I thought it was something I did at first, cause on certain apps I would delete the .plist file to stop showing it's updates.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Neither of mine (3G & 4) have ever done it automatically.
You don't have to go into the App Store and then check for updates for a badge to pop up. If you just go into the App Store to search or dl an app, it will check for updates. Maybe they've opened the app store to dl an app and they didn't dl any updates, so the badges remain.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Maybe u have to let the app run in the background? Not sure yet why my wife and daughter get notifications while I don't. I'm gonna let it run in the background for a week and see what happens.

This much we do know, the app icon does display badge info when updates are available. As such, I'm not sure why u have to go into the app to get this to display.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I tried opening app store and having it run in the background. A few hours later no notifications, I went into it to get an app and then it told me I had an update. So mine doesn't seem to live update at all.

littlekelli

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
App Store for iPhone won't notify me of updates

I have been going crazy trying to figure this out. It worked when I first go my phone (end of feb) but hasn't worked right in months...... no one knows why. I have contacted the store, and iTunes and their answer is to contact apple care, which I am out of my 90 days and am debating on purchasing the warranty. Just checking to see if anyone has figured anything out?

I am using OS 4.28 ON VZW iPhone4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.