Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:40 AM   #1
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Recovering hidden photos on my iPhone 4

I recently synced my iPhone with iPhoto and then deleted the photos from the iPhones. Then, I noticed that not all of the photos actually copied to iPhoto. I check the phone and iTunes says that photos are taking up 3.8gb but the photo album is empty.

How can I copy off the photos that are on the device? I think they are there somewhere, they're just not being seen.

My device is not jailbroken, by the way!
just charlie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by just charlie View Post
I recently synced my iPhone with iPhoto and then deleted the photos from the iPhones. Then, I noticed that not all of the photos actually copied to iPhoto. I check the phone and iTunes says that photos are taking up 3.8gb but the photo album is empty.

How can I copy off the photos that are on the device? I think they are there somewhere, they're just not being seen.

My device is not jailbroken, by the way!
Are you asking about photos in your device's "camrea roll" or "photo library" and other photo folders? Just because there is nothing in the camera roll, you could have 3.8gb of photos in the photo library and other photo folders?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:57 AM   #3
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
Are you asking about photos in your device's "camrea roll" or "photo library" and other photo folders? Just because there is nothing in the camera roll, you could have 3.8gb of photos in the photo library and other photo folders?
I ended up using Phone Explorer which allowed me to browse the photo directories. I found about 1,000 photos but for some reason the missing ones that I was looking for were not there.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I ended up using Phone Explorer which allowed me to browse the photo directories. I found about 1,000 photos but for some reason the missing ones that I was looking for were not there.
Yeah, I was gonna suggest iPhone Explorer or Sahrepod to you.
Were you able to recover your 3.8gb?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:29 AM   #5
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yeah, I was gonna suggest iPhone Explorer or Sahrepod to you.
Were you able to recover your 3.8gb?
It was the same as iPhoto, most of the photos were there with some notably missing. The only thing that I can imagine is that somehow they got corrupted. Anyway at this point I don't think there's much I can do.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It was the same as iPhoto, most of the photos were there with some notably missing. The only thing that I can imagine is that somehow they got corrupted. Anyway at this point I don't think there's much I can do.
You didn't answer my question about your Photo Library folders. At any rate, as you found out, it's not a good idea to keep a large amount of photos in your camera roll, as it can become corrupted when downloading. A better solution, if you want to keep certain photos on your phone is to create "Albums" in Iphoto, place the pictures that you want on your phone in those albums, and then sync them back yo your phone, using iTunes.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You didn't answer my question about your Photo Library folders. At any rate, as you found out, it's not a good idea to keep a large amount of photos in your camera roll, as it can become corrupted when downloading. A better solution, if you want to keep certain photos on your phone is to create "Albums" in Iphoto, place the pictures that you want on your phone in those albums, and then sync them back yo your phone, using iTunes.
Understood, thanks.

So now that I have 3.8gb of photos that I can't see on my device, what's the best way to delete them? Can I just erase the images from the DCIM folder using iPhone Explorer?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:07 PM   #8
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Understood, thanks.

So now that I have 3.8gb of photos that I can't see on my device, what's the best way to delete them? Can I just erase the images from the DCIM folder using iPhone Explorer?
I read somewhere that deleting that folder will not entirely solve the problem, I think I remember there being another folder of thumbnails that you also have to delete, but i'm not entirely sure.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:40 PM   #9
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Right, I deleted both of the folders of images and it still says the 3.8gb being taken up by photos. Then I deleted the folders with the same name in the "PhotoData" folder (containing the thumbs) but it still says that 3.8gb is occupied by photos.

Does anyone know how to erase these for good?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:43 PM   #10
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Right, I deleted both of the folders of images and it still says the 3.8gb being taken up by photos. Then I deleted the folders with the same name in the "PhotoData" folder (containing the thumbs) but it still says that 3.8gb is occupied by photos.

Does anyone know how to erase these for good?
might try a hard reset (power and home) and see if that clears it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:47 PM   #11
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

I bet that there is a plist file that needs to be cleared. you might copy the plist file to your desktop, do a reset, and if that doesnt do it, you can always copy it back.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:56 PM   #12
just charlie
macrumors newbie

Hard reset worked. Finally!

4gb free now.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:02 PM   #13
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hard reset worked. Finally!

4gb free now.
Great!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting