Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120643-gct_concourse.jpg

Grand Central Terminal's Main Concourse
A pair of reports from The New York Observer and ifoAppleStore indicate that Apple is looking to open a new retail store, its fifth in Manhattan, at the landmark Grand Central Terminal. The store would reportedly be located inside the busy transportation and tourist hub and would sit less than a mile from the company's flagship Fifth Avenue store.
Apple has begun a super-secret quest for a store in historic Grand Central Terminal, potentially creating a hive of buzzing techies in the glamorous Beaux Arts landmark.

Reliable sources tell The Observer that the maker of ubiquitous iGadgets - from computers to cell phones - hopes to open a store in the transportation and retail hub, though it has yet to begin the long approval process necessary for opening in a city landmark.
ifoAppleStore notes that Apple is keen to open the store not only for its location in the historic and highly-trafficked building, but also to relieve pressure on the busy Fifth Avenue store that, despite its relatively small size, outsells the company's other three Manhattan stores combined.
Today, the terminal hosts 700,000 visitors a day, most hurrying to trains and the city's busiest subway stop. But another 250,000 visitors a day pass through the expansive Vanderbilt Hall, the station's original waiting room that is now rented out for special events.

The 134,000 square-feet of retail space includes 68 shops and 35 restaurants, some on the main concourse level surrounding Vanderbilt Hall, and others on the balcony level just below. Current major tenants include Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole and a Michael Jordan Steakhouse in about 6,000 square-feet of space each, and many other tenants in less than 1,000 square-feet. The historic Oyster Bar restaurant in on the lower level, along with a fresh food market.
Negotiations appear to still be in the early stages and will likely take quite some time to complete, but the location could provide an interesting opportunity for Apple to fit its brand into one of the most iconic transportation hubs in the world.

Article Link: Apple Seeking to Build New Retail Store in Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I think it's a great idea. New Yorkers recall, it wasn't too long ago that Grand Central and Hell's Kitchen and even Time Square were pretty rough neighborhoods (most wouldn't go near Hell's Kitchen). In came Disney who bought half of Times Square, then came in the businesses and bam! Adding a small Apple Store into the myriad of stores in Grand Central is a great idea. Anything to keep things growing stronger in tough economic times.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
They really got to look at there store design. The new store in my area in Chicago is an eyesore - just a rectanglar building with lots of glass, sparsely decorated with just basically a few tables inside, and big bright florescent lights that stream out of the glass at night and ruin the atmosphere of the surroundings. By day the sun streams into the store basically blinding everyone who goes in - you literally can't see.

And they design that structure from SCRATCH without an existing building in place.

Tony

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
They would be better off with a presence in Times Square...or at the very least some iconic signage.

lesreaper2009

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Please Apple, Stop

We don't need any more traffic in Grand Central.

And just in case you're wondering, not everyone needs to see the fricking Apple logo everyday on the way to their other drone like work.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Hey how about a Apple store in South Africa? The economy is booming there and the people are dying to buy more Apple products. I could have sold my iPad there for double the price. Totally untapped market with oodles of expendable income. South Africa has some of the fanciest malls I have ever seen in my life.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Grand Central Station would be a prime location for any premium retailer.

I'd be more interested if they opened one closer to my house (closest one is 17 miles away through much traffic / 34 miles round trip). I tend to order from Apple's online store because the price of gas is more than the shipping cost on most Apple accessories, and shipping is free on Apple's bigger ticket items.

Nem Wan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Going by the picture, what the place really needs is more giant American flags.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I think it's a great idea. New Yorkers recall, it wasn't too long ago that Grand Central and Hell's Kitchen and even Time Square were pretty rough neighborhoods (most wouldn't go near Hell's Kitchen). In came Disney who bought half of Times Square, then came in the businesses and bam! Adding a small Apple Store into the myriad of stores in Grand Central is a great idea. Anything to keep things growing stronger in tough economic times.

more like the federal government designate some areas for huge tax breaks making opening a store there a profitable investment

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
great

37 stores in Manhattan and zero in brooklyn.

perfect example of tone deaf. NYC is bigger than manhattan Apple. You make great products, but your finger is far from being on the pulse of what happens in America's largest city.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
This would have really pissed me off if they hadn't finally given us ONE local store without a 5+ hour drive last november.

-Allen

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Actually I'd rather they stay out of Brooklyn and remain in the mall that is Manhattan.

actually WE'D rather YOU stay in manhattan as well. But for those of us who live here (~2.5 million) and enjoy apple products as much as the next man, it does become a hassle for us to have to travel into Manhattan all the time for genius appointments. Especially when you are lugging a 24inch iMac.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
i cant wait for the apple store in the white house

You're thinking too small! Apple will buy the white house and make the entire building the largest apple store to date. Down with the american flag and up with the apple logo. The United States of :apple: Loves it...

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
actually WE'D rather YOU stay in manhattan as well. But for those of us who live here (~2.5 million) and enjoy apple products as much as the next man, it does become a hassle for us to have to travel into Manhattan all the time for genius appointments. Especially when you are lugging a 24inch iMac.

Can't you just put it on the back of your fixie?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.