Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Debuts iOS Translation App, Brings Priority Inbox to Gmail Mobile Interface

Google today announced the release of a new Google Translate [App Store] application for iOS devices, offering such features as translation of spoken words and phrases and the ability to listen to translations spoken aloud.
Quote:
Speak to translate
The new app accepts voice input for 15 languages, and - just like the web app - you can translate a word or phrase into one of more than 50 languages. For voice input, just press the microphone icon next to the text box and say what you want to translate.

Listen to your translations
You can also listen to your translations spoken out loud in one of 23 different languages. This feature uses the same new speech synthesizer voices as the desktop version of Google Translate we introduced last month.
Google Translate also offers the ability to enlarge translated text to full-screen size for ease of reading and showing to others.

The new app release comes just after yesterday's launch of Priority Inbox for Gmail when accessed through the web app interface for mobile devices. The popular feature that rolled out for the standard Gmail interface late last year automatically identifies important messages and flags them for priority review to help wade through ever-increasing amounts of email.
Quote:
Priority Inbox helps combat information overload by automatically identifying your important messages so you can focus on those first. Until today it was only available on the desktop and on Android devices.

Now, once you set up Priority Inbox in the desktop version of Gmail, you'll see Priority Inbox sections when you visit gmail.com from your phone's browser and click on the 'Menu' screen. You'll also see importance markers in your inbox, so you can quickly identify which messages are important.
Article Link: Google Debuts iOS Translation App, Brings Priority Inbox to Gmail Mobile Interface
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
baryon
macrumors 68030

The translation app is a good idea, but I'm sure it won't work without an internet connection, which makes it totally useless on an iPod Touch.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
The translation app is a good idea, but I'm sure it won't work without an internet connection, which makes it totally useless on an iPod Touch.
Not totally useless if you have a wifi connection obviously. I just downloaded it. I'm sure it'll come in handy.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
keruah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
This feature uses the same new speech synthesizer voices as the desktop version of Google Translate we introduced last month.
Desktop version? Umm... where?
keruah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Doctor Q
Administrator

This app will be more convenient than the little phrase book I carried around in Japan. One time I was trying to send a package home and I couldn't make myself understood to the mailing clerk, probably due to my poor pronunciation skills. I ended up pointing at phrases in my phrase book.

If I'd been able to speak English into my phone and have it say the same thing in Japanese, I might have made myself clear more easily. And even if I didn't, it would be a much cooler way to fail!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
infowarfare
macrumors 6502

Location: Reykjavik, Iceland / Stockholm, Sweden/ Los Angeles, CA/ New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by keruah View Post
Desktop version? Umm... where?
http://translate.google.com/

Next time, a little effort on your part may go a long way to helping you discover the world right under your nose...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:23 PM   #7
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Great app! Sure, Google Translate is not always grammaticly correct but it can come in handy. Especially for me as a Dutchman/European since we are obligated to learn at least four different languages in highschool.

I also go abroad a few times a year and than an app such as this one can sure come in handy.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
jman240
macrumors 6502a

It censors curse words. So much for some real fun.
jman240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
smithrh
macrumors 68020

OCR capability would be a lifesaver...

I have an app that OCRs Spanish and translates to English, but what I'd really like is the Google app with OCR, that would truly rock.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:47 PM   #10
keruah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowarfare View Post
Next time, a little effort on your part may go a long way to helping you discover the world right under your nose...
I thought it says "desktop version introduced last month" (unlike web version). And they have Google Desktop, actually. Oh, well.

Last edited by keruah; Feb 8, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
keruah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

This is really quite cool. I think it'd be perfect if the translation played back over the loudspeaker.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

I'll try it, currently I just use their web app which seems to work fine.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

I'm blown away!

I did the voice recognition and it got ausgezeichnet on the first try!

Very impressed!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:21 PM   #14
anonymous guy
macrumors 6502

I, for one, like the increased amount of Google services available for iPhone.

Even better, they're much more professional than paid apps - and they're free!
anonymous guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:49 PM   #15
divinemercy
macrumors regular

meh...

As a text translator it works well enough, but at least concerning French the 'speak to translate' option was very rough. I am fluent in French, and just got back from a year spent in Paris, so I'm quite sure that my pronunciation is spot on.. Yet even when I tried very simple sentences (like "I am American" or "You are from France") at different speeds, intonations, etc the number of correct word catches was maybe at 25%. And if I was in the real world needing this app, only getting 25% of my words translated would not be enough. Clearly.

As far as the text translation goes, this is already included in the bundle "google" app for iPhone, so there is really no reason to have the additional google translate app taking up space (unless it is better at voice recognition for other languages).

Im still very pro google though If only because I just discovered the sudoku solver app
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:58 PM   #16
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

It kills me that Google has come out with Google Translate, Google Books, Google Earth, Google Places, Google Latitude, and Google Voice, but they have not yet released a GMail or Google Talk app! GMail may not be allowed but it would be SO simple for them to release a Google Talk app.
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:01 AM   #17
divinemercy
macrumors regular

Jason - Have you checked out the "google" app? It has all that. It basically links you to a site, but its all in-app so its fairly fluid.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:35 AM   #18
Pigumon
Banned

What the ****???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
This app will be more convenient than the little phrase book I carried around in Japan. One time I was trying to send a package home and I couldn't make myself understood to the mailing clerk, probably due to my poor pronunciation skills. I ended up pointing at phrases in my phrase book.

If I'd been able to speak English into my phone and have it say the same thing in Japanese, I might have made myself clear more easily. And even if I didn't, it would be a much cooler way to fail!
Stick with your phrase book. This POS translates LITERALLY (if it even understands you) which is completely wrong for translation.

I said "Let's go to Karaoke", which it translated to "Let's go to cut out dick", which translated into japanese "Please Cut Penis".

Talk about an unbelievable comedy slap in the face moment.

My friend asked in native Japanese "Where is the nearest train station?" "Myouri no eki ha doko desu ka?" which it heard as "Myouri noeki WORD ko deshita" which translates to "The closest station is a child word."

Needless to say, it's worthless, except maybe for parties and a good laugh.
Pigumon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Duncanreally
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
This is really quite cool. I think it'd be perfect if the translation played back over the loudspeaker.
It does. Touch the little blue loudspeaker icon to the right of the translation.
Duncanreally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:37 PM   #20
infowarfare
macrumors 6502

Location: Reykjavik, Iceland / Stockholm, Sweden/ Los Angeles, CA/ New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigumon View Post
Stick with your phrase book. This POS translates LITERALLY (if it even understands you) which is completely wrong for translation.

I said "Let's go to Karaoke", which it translated to "Let's go to cut out dick", which translated into japanese "Please Cut Penis".

Talk about an unbelievable comedy slap in the face moment.

My friend asked in native Japanese "Where is the nearest train station?" "Myouri no eki ha doko desu ka?" which it heard as "Myouri noeki WORD ko deshita" which translates to "The closest station is a child word."

Needless to say, it's worthless, except maybe for parties and a good laugh.
I can't stand when someone says something is worthless... maybe to YOU it is, but it is obviously working for other people, therefore, not worthless.

As for me, I am a native English speaker, a bad Italian and German speaker and an even worse Japanese speaker and so far it has translated everything I've said 100% accurately (which I was actually surprised with.)

So maybe you and your friend have speech impediments or were drunk or ?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:30 PM   #21
speechtrans
macrumors newbie

SpeechTrans Ultimate Powered By Nuance Much Better App

SpeechTrans Ultimate iPhone app has 95% accuracy compared to Google's 60%. Check out SpeechTrans Ultimate Today for the Real Star Trek Transaltor. Plus you can talk to Facebook Friends around the world in different languages!
speechtrans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:09 AM   #22
MrNickles
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowarfare View Post
As for me, I am a native English speaker, a bad Italian and German speaker and an even worse Japanese speaker and so far it has translated everything I've said 100% accurately
No offense, but if you speak Japanese poorly, you wouldn't know if it translated it right or not. I'm a professional Japanese translator, and Google Translate's rendition of Japanese, whether by text OR voice input, is very inaccurate.
MrNickles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion