Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i eversaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta
I'm thinking about getting the iPad 2 when it launches. Current owners of the iPad, do you feel like you are getting maximum use out of your iPad, even though you own an iPhone 4? Besides the larger screen, what are the main things you enjoy on iPad over iPhone 4?

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Reading, working, gaming, browsing is better on my iPad than my iPhone. When I'm at home I only use my iPad unless I'm texting or talking. To me, everything is just better on the iPad. I definitely neglect my iPhone when I'm at home. I bought my first iPhone when the fourth generation came out and fell in love with iOS. I bought the iPad a month later. I really would like to see that beautiful resolution that the iPhone has on the iPad one day. I like the iPhone a lot, but I love the iPad! I always have memory issues, so I'm ready for the 2G iPad.

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I deleted all my games on my iPhone 4. Just isn't the same as playing on the iPad.

iPhone is now strictly for texting, phone, and a couple of apps that I cannot live without on my phone.

It's awesome being in bed, tv on, surfing the web on my iPad. It's the ultimate couch potato gadget imo.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
And iPad is just a extra. Nothing serious.

Well, let me say that many here on the forum are dead serious but I don't see the need to be.

It's just something fun to play with. Nothing that is essential or needed.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
reading, working, gaming, browsing is better on my ipad than my iphone. When i'm at home i only use my ipad unless i'm texting or talking. To me, everything is just better on the ipad. I definitely neglect my iphone when i'm at home. I bought my first iphone when the fourth generation came out and fell in love with ios. I bought the ipad a month later. I really would like to see that beautiful resolution that the iphone has on the ipad one day. I like the iphone a lot, but i love the ipad! I always have memory issues, so i'm ready for the 2g ipad.

+1

i eversaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta
Reading, working, gaming, browsing is better on my iPad than my iPhone. When I'm at home I only use my iPad unless I'm texting or talking. To me, everything is just better on the iPad. I definitely neglect my iPhone when I'm at home. I bought my first iPhone when the fourth generation came out and fell in love with iOS. I bought the iPad a month later. I really would like to see that beautiful resolution that the iPhone has on the iPad one day. I like the iPhone a lot, but I love the iPad! I always have memory issues, so I'm ready for the 2G iPad.

so do you think that an iPad replaces the iPhone in a way? I'm actually leaning towards not upgrading to iPhone 5 this year (though knowing me, I'll probably just break down and do it) but I do really want to get iPad 2

mkivsupra

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2009
I'm thinking about getting the iPad 2 when it launches. Current owners of the iPad, do you feel like you are getting maximum use out of your iPad, even though you own an iPhone 4? Besides the larger screen, what are the main things you enjoy on iPad over iPhone 4?

I had the same concerns as you when i got my ipad 1. "Do I really need to spend $900 on this... I already can do everything I would want to do on my 17" ubmbp so why do i need another device?" I hesitated like crazy before i bought it but Let me tell you... I spend more time on my ipad than my laptop now. Mainly use it for surfing, email and the occasional movie watch. But it is so nice to be able to lay down in bed and surf, watch, email, etc. It sounds cliche but... Why should i have to conform to something (sit awkwardly comfortable laying down) to perform a simple task when the device can conform to me? Plus a lot more websites work than I thought would on one.

Last edited:

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I've had the exact opposite experience with the iPad/iPhone issue for a couple reasons...

1) Apps usually cost more for the same thing.
2) Lots of apps aren't universal. You'll have to pay for the same app twice if you want it on both devices. Yes, you could upscale it, but I really don't like the looks of it.
3) No camera. I constantly use this to create flashcards and scan my notes using apps such as Cam Scanner. Also, it's just easier to handle on my iPhone for these tasks.
4) Mobility, I usually don't bring an iPad with me everywhere I go. I have real work to do, so I bring my MBP. MBP + iPad + iPhone is just a little over kill I think. Also, I can't really whip out Plants vs Zombies while waiting for my ride to get there, its just awkward imo. Much easier on the iPhone.
5) 3G, if you already have an iPhone, its hard to justify paying for it (i know its optional) when you already have another 3G device in your pocket. Do you really need two? It may be convenient, but if i'm out and about, 3G is used to quickly check something. Weather, facebook, directions, etc. All of which the iPhone do just as well. On vacations, if i'm web browsing, i'm doing something wrong. You should be out having fun!
6) Really varies from person to person, but I just find it much more comfortable playing games on my iPhone.
7) Reading...call me old school, but I still use the hard copies. I just find it a tad heavy, also the backlit screen makes it harder for me to go to bed when i'm ready.
8) Music. I see people listening to music on this thing and they have an iPhone next to them...its way more convenient to have a pocketable music player.
9) Email, everyone always said it was so great to reply to emails on an iPad. It really isn't all that special...You can still do it from your iPhone! If you have to type a long email, the touch screen sucks to type on anyways. Bluetooth keyboard? Well, I may as well just have grabbed my laptop. At least with the laptop, I can multitask.

I know it sounds like i'm ripping on the iPad hardcore, but i'm just trying to do the OP a favor. These two devices overlap ALOT. Unless you have a very specific reason to get an iPad, its a luxury item. After the wow factor, you lose interest quick.

I do want to stress though, if you don't have an iPhone, then by all means its a great choice! If I were using an Android phone, it would so be worth it just to have access to the app store.

mkivsupra

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2009
so do you think that an iPad replaces the iPhone in a way? I'm actually leaning towards not upgrading to iPhone 5 this year (though knowing me, I'll probably just break down and do it) but I do really want to get iPad 2

If you've waited this long to get an ipad you'll be more than happy with the 2nd gen. My first gen is a bit slower than I would be happy with so I'm hoping the new one will solve all those issues and scream.

OP, as you see in the post before mine... Everybody's experience is going to be different. For me, it does everything i need it to (which isn't complex. I have a laptop for intense tasks). So, think to yourself about what exactly you would do with it, and see if there is a need for it. Although.... I basically made a need for it lol. But that's ok. It turned out to be a better experience using than I would have ever thought.

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
If you've waited this long to get an ipad you'll be more than happy with the 2nd gen. My first gen is a bit slower than I would be happy with so I'm hoping the new one will solve all those issues and scream.

OP, as you see in the post before mine... Everybody's experience is going to be different. For me, it does everything i need it to (which isn't complex. I have a laptop for intense tasks). So, think to yourself about what exactly you would do with it, and see if there is a need for it. Although.... I basically made a need for it lol. But that's ok. It turned out to be a better experience using than I would have ever thought.

Agreed. For me I use the iPad for Netflix and thats it. What makes the iPad worthwhile is that my family enjoys using it. Sharing photos and doing light web browsing from time to time. Also, if you have company it definitely entertains the kids. My family as a whole gets 500$ out of use from it. Individually, I cannot say the same.

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina

Yes. It does replace my iphone in a way. But I'm at home a lot, so it works for me. Everyone is different of course. Frankly, I wish I would have went with a less expensive model iPhone now that I have the iPad. I think I would be happy with any of the previous model iPhones. I would probably be happy with a jitterbug.....as long as the iPad is next to it. I just don't use the iPhone like I used to before the my iPad purchase. iPhone 4 was my first Apple purchase. I fell in love with Apple products at that point. I, too, will probably break down and try to upgrade to the next generation iPhone. I know that I shouldn't, but I also know that there is a good chance that I'll just say, "aww, F$$k it!" and get in the Apple line :rolleyes: Apple gets me off with their amazing products and innovation. It's like a drug to me.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US

All I can honestly say is that its the screen. I'm a high school student and for me I use my iPad for taking notes in class, writing papers, videos, games, and of course web browsing. Basically the iPad fills in where the iPhone can't because of the larger screen and it's much more easier to use because of the more screen real-estate. Sure the iPhone 4 has a retina display but that doesn't count against anything when it's a 3.5 inch screen vs a 9.7 inch that you can get much more work done on.

Nov 6, 2010
There are many things that are better
1. You will get the full screen apps. Games are better for this, like Sims and Angry Birds, and plants VS Zombies
2. Word processors. You can get Apples Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for the iPad.
3. Something to play with when your iPhone dies
4. Good if you don't want to carry around a laptop, or if you don't have one. It's really really fun to type on
5. You get So Much attention when you carry it around :) Lol.

I just don't use the iPhone like I used to before the my iPad purchase. iPhone 4 was my first Apple purchase. I fell in love with Apple products at that point. I, too, will probably break down and try to upgrade to the next generation iPhone. I know that I shouldn't, but I also know that there is a good chance that I'll just say, "aww, F$$k it!" and get in the Apple line :rolleyes: Apple gets me off with their amazing products and innovation. It's like a drug to me.

^^^^Same here. It's like when you walk into a Apple Store, you are so drugged up, and are forced to leave with something. I love it. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I have a 3GS iPhone and it goes everywhere with me. I like to have email access no matter where I am and I like to play music with it. In other words, I still use it everyday when I am away from home. The size works better for ultimate portability.

That being said, when I am home I never touch the iPhone unless I make or get a call or text. The iPad is better in every way. The screen is huge compared to the iPhone, so anything visual is better on it....including email, Netflix, logmein, magazines, books, Plex, slingbox, eyetv, calendar apps, web surfing, etc...

Before I got the iPad, the iPhone split time with my laptop when I was at home. Now the iPad gets 98 percent of the use, the laptop is gathering dust and the iPhone rarely leaves the dock.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Here's another factor to consider: the current 3G iPad has 2 3G chips, 2 WiFi chips and a GPS chip. 3G signal is stronger and if you jailbreak to use MyWi, your hotspot will reach much further than even an iPhone 4. If you don't need 3G, disregard.

Myself, I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad. I will not be upgrading either this year unless they offer some sort of huge upgrade like LTE.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
IMO, I'm thinking if you already have an iPhone 4, then an iPad is a nice addition. But if you already have an iPad, no need to get an iPhone 4.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've got an iPhone 4, and my dad got an iPad a couple of months ago. From what I can tell, here are some things I could do with one:

Take notes using a Bluetooth keyboard -- already did this one day
Have an even bigger control for Apple TV or iMac
Read books on a screen larger than the free Bibles those people gave me all the time at college
Find cookbook apps or e-books that I could use easily in my kitchen
Portable 9.7-inch video and music player
See the entire Target advertisement instead of the mobilized one. Target's iPhone and iPad apps are WAY different.
Buy news apps created for a larger screen. I like the structure of The Daily, and I'm hoping others can duplicate it with better local and targeted coverage.

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I had the same concerns as you when i got my ipad 1. "Do I really need to spend $900 on this... I already can do everything I would want to do on my 17" ubmbp so why do i need another device?" I hesitated like crazy before i bought it but Let me tell you... I spend more time on my ipad than my laptop now. Mainly use it for surfing, email and the occasional movie watch. But it is so nice to be able to lay down in bed and surf, watch, email, etc. It sounds cliche but... Why should i have to conform to something (sit awkwardly comfortable laying down) to perform a simple task when the device can conform to me? Plus a lot more websites work than I thought would on one.

Ditto on all points.

Plus, it's extra portable. Mine lives in my handbag during the day. It's perfect because when life throws you some downtime... waiting for 20 minutes for service at a phone store for example (as has happened to me twice this week) it's way more fun to pull out an ipad and get lost in an episode of Mad Men ;) I use it on the train and tram... anywhere I need to fill in time. Best of all it's small enough that most people would never know I have it with me.

Mine has really cannabilised time from both my phone & my laptop. All my news reading & facebook/twitter are done on Flipboard now. If I want to send a text message I compose it in Evernote on my ipad and then access it on my phone. Trying to type on an iphone when you're used to the ipad is crazy ;)

Basically, I bought my ipad not being totally sure of what I'd use it for nor convinced that there was a need for it... and in just ten short days it's completely revolutionised my web/gaming/etc etc etc interaction.

Three best/most useful apps = Video (started watching Mad Men, watching on ipad is a joy, awesome for commuters), Evernote (amazingly simple way to share content between phone/ipad/macbook) & Flipboard (which has changed my life ;) ).

Basically, my poor phone is being abandoned most of the time now.

Oooh.... and another bit of ipad love, went to a seminar tonight and although I was sitting on the diagonally opposite the speaker across a large room I decided to give the record feature a go. Basically I was typing notes in evernote whilst it was recording. Wasn't confident of getting clear audio but it's perfectly audible AND for 1.5 hours of recording the battery only lost 4%!!! That's one area where the ipad waaaaay outdoes the iphone... the battery life is incredible and I barely think about charging mine, it easily lasts 11 hours of heavy use which is kinda ridiculous!

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
The iPad owns the iPhone for about everything, apart from listening to music, taking photos, doing phone stuff and sitting on the toilet at work.

Tried to use the browser on my iPhone 4 last night as my iPad was out of reach. Awful experience!

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
Before I got the iPad, the iPhone split time with my laptop when I was at home. Now the iPad gets 98 percent of the use, the laptop is gathering dust and the iPhone rarely leaves the dock.

+100

And it's not just my laptop gathering dust (although I will admit I'm using it now, mainly because I'm downloading stuff in itunes ;) )... my poor website that I used to be addicted to updating has barely had any attention in a month. There have been so many times this past week when I would normally spend hours working on but I haven't even opened Coda, there's too much fun stuff to be done on the ipad ;)

^^^^Same here. It's like when you walk into a Apple Store, you are so drugged up, and are forced to leave with something. I love it. Lol

My parents both got iPhone 3G when it first came out in NZ. Last year it was time to update their comp and since mum was finding ios so easy to use they decided to get an iMac. When I came home I fell in love with the iMac so when my laptop died I sprung for a MacBook Pro. Dad was shown on the news buying their iPad on launch day, and a month later mum upgraded to iPhone 4, dad got her 8gb 3G and i got dad's 16gb 3G. After three weeks home last month I got so attached to the iPad that when I walked past an ipad sign at the airport with a great price, I made the ultimate impulse buy and treated myself. (Had it up and running before i got the plane too, heh ;) ). Basically from one purchase, my whole family have become macnerds. My formerly non-computer-literate mother chats to me for an hour about apps and the latest apple news she's read. There's something crazy & amazing going on... but that's just Apple, isn't it? =D

Something to play with when your iPhone dies.

Word. iPhone 1, iPad 10000000000 on battery score ;)

Last edited:

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Macnewbieguy

Macnewbieguy was spot on, at least in regard to the current iPad and software. I am sure it will advance a lot on years to come and create it's own market...

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I see the rationale on the ipad and while some people deem it's almost necessary to have one. Honestly if you have a iphone 4 and a mbpro i really believe the ipad is over kill. Now if you are a mobile professional, I think the ipad is great. But some of the reasoning I see about the iphone here i think are just rationalizing a luxury item. I personally dont like to carry alot of items around. Keys, wallet, & iphone and im out the door.

I like having my music when im driving around, ability to purchase music over 3g when i hear a song I like. Youtube anywhere anytime. and my personally favorite GPS navigation connected right to my car. Im also addicted to twitter & facebook. If im bored i just use those things.

It's a luxury item not a must have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.