Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hey guys/gals, quick question.

I bought a 2.4Ghz 13" MBP on 7/30/10. Works fine, but when I'm on a dark screen, there is a lot of light leakage along the vertical edges of the screen. Seems like a serious quality control issue. So much so that I thought I had a gradient grey background selected when it was set to black.

Would this warrant a replaced MBP? What do you expect apple would do about it, if anything?

Thanks,

-Evan

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Hey guys/gals, quick question.

I bought a 2.4Ghz 13" MBP on 7/30/10. Works fine, but when I'm on a dark screen, there is a lot of light leakage along the vertical edges of the screen. Seems like a serious quality control issue. So much so that I thought I had a gradient grey background selected when it was set to black.

Would this warrant a replaced MBP? What do you expect apple would do about it, if anything?

Thanks,

-Evan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#Twisted_nematic_.28TN.29

TN panels are notorious for the symptoms you describe. Some are worse than others and you should have no trouble at all getting your screen replaced. But in the end, you are still going to end up with another low quality TN panel. IPS panels are much higher quality panels but Apple only uses these in the iPhone 4 and cinema displays.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Would they replace the screen or the whole computer? Would it make a difference if I waited for the new MBPs to come out before taking it in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.