Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091526-walmart_logo_slogan.jpg

Wal-Mart today announced that it wil offer the Verizon iPhone for sale in nearly 600 of its retail store locations, joining Apple, Verizon, and Best Buy as a launch retailer for the device at its debut for general availability.
"We're excited to bring iPhone 4 on the Verizon Wireless network, one the most anticipated mobile phone launches in recent history, to Walmart customers," said Gary Severson, senior vice president, Home Entertainment, Walmart U.S. "As customers continue to embrace smart phone technology, we've added nearly 20 smart phone models to our assortment, including the new Verizon Wireless iPhone 4."
Verizon had noted in its press release announcing record-breaking pre-sales for the iPhone that Wal-Mart would be carrying the device, but it had been unclear how many locations would be carrying it at launch. Still unknown is exactly which Wal-Mart stores will have the Verizon iPhone tomorrow, so customers should call their local stores to determine availability.

Apple and Verizon have already opened their websites to the general public for iPhone orders, with availability set for tomorrow. Both companies are currently showing shipping estimates of February 18th for new orders, although orders may presumably ship sooner than that as availability allows.

Article Link: Wal-Mart to Carry Verizon iPhone in Nearly 600 Stores Tomorrow

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Nice to know that you don't have to go to an Apple store to get their phone. The nearest Apple store near me is 1 hour. Nearest Walmart- 15 mins. Great way to increase sales.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Nice to know that you don't have to go to an Apple store to get their phone. The nearest Apple store near me is 1 hour. Nearest Walmart- 15 mins. Great way to increase sales.

Well, you could also go to the obvious... the Verizon store. Surely you have one of those close-by.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
If you see any people of walmart candidates, don't forget to snap a pic and upload it.

Gradivus

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Tyneside, UK
Verizon??

I'm from the UK. I'd never heard of Verizon until a few weeks ago.

Genuine plea for help.... who/what are they and why is it such a big deal?

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Next to 2% milk actually

You mean whole milk. ;)

I don't know..but something about buying an iPhone 4 at Wal-Mart just doesn't seem right. At least around here, Wal-Mart is definitely the lower end of the food chain when it comes to shopping places. You might get mugged in the parking lot. Buy your iPhone 4 along with your Twinkies, then head on over to "WE BUY GOLD" to get your loan.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I'm from the UK. I'd never heard of Verizon until a few weeks ago.

Genuine plea for help.... who/what are they and why is it such a big deal?

You're in the UK. So you've heard of Vodaphone. Vodaphone owns a good deal of Verizon. Verizon is a CDMA carrier (different than the GSM tech you're used to in Britain and Europe). CDMA is a popular tech here in the States, and parts of Asia.

Verizon is the largest cell phone company in the US, and is well known for its extensive coverage area and overall quality of service. It's also known as one of the more expensive carriers in the US.

Until now AT&T has been the sole provider of iPhones in the US. Having an iPhone on Verizon opens up the door to about 100 million new potential customers for Apple.

Basically it's a big deal, because it looks like the iPhone is about to explode, again, in the US. For those people who love the phone, but have been stuck in poor coverage under AT&T, will now have an opportunity to try out a new carrier. There's also been an avalanche of hype about the iPhone coming to Verizon for years and now it's coming true.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
You mean whole milk. ;)

I don't know..but something about buying an iPhone 4 at Wal-Mart just doesn't seem right. At least around here, Wal-Mart is definitely the lower end of the food chain when it comes to shopping places. You might get mugged in the parking lot. Buy your iPhone 4 along with your Twinkies, then head on over to "WE BUY GOLD" to get your loan.

Hahahahahahah. That is so messed up, but awesome nevertheless :)

winty03

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Verizon going all in with iPhone...I haven't seen a device so popular and made so available so soon! That Apple stock looking good as always!!

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
You're in the UK. So you've heard of Vodaphone. Vodaphone owns a good deal of Verizon. Verizon is a CDMA carrier (different than the GSM tech you're used to in Britain and Europe). CDMA is a popular tech here in the States, and parts of Asia.

Verizon is the largest cell phone company in the US, and is well known for its extensive coverage area and overall quality of service. It's also known as one of the more expensive carriers in the US.

Until now AT&T has been the sole provider of iPhones in the US. Having an iPhone on Verizon opens up the door to about 100 million new potential customers.

Basically it's a big deal, because it looks like the iPhone is about to explode, again, in the US. For those people who love the phone, but have been stuck in poor coverage under AT&T, will now have an opportunity to try out a new carrier. There's also been an avalanche of hype about the iPhone coming to Verizon and now it's coming true.

Thanks for that. Being from the UK I've thought that aswell. Weird to think that CDMA is so standard over there. I think I still don't know how to pronounce their name properly though :rolleyes:

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for that. Being from the UK I've thought that aswell. Weird to think that CDMA is so standard over there. I think I still don't know how to pronounce their name properly though :rolleyes:

Ver-(think burr, as in it's chilly, but substitute "v" for "b")-i(should be obvious)-zon(as in son, but with a zed). ;)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Got my ATT iPhone from "the Shack" (Radio Shack).
we stopped in to the ATT store across the street and it was packed...nobody helped us out.
went to the mall, stepped in a nearly empty Radio Shack and was helped right away. looked over the other phones and walked out with two new iPhones.

So, Walmart selling the phones is fine by me...makes some Apple/Verizon stores less crowded and gets the phones into more hands.

Verizon sounds like Horizon with a V

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

It's mixed over here in the States. It's just that Verizon Wireless [and the many names prior to it] went the CMDA route when Voicestream, Cingular and others went the GSM route.

AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile have roughly 130+ million subscribers.

Verizon Wireless & Sprint Nextel have roughly 91 million and 48.8 million* subscribers, respectively.

Verizon and Sprint have incompatible CDMA backends with Sprint including Nextel's iDent.

ATT Mobility and T-Mobile USA have GSM networks that just run on slightly different licensed spectrum.

*The company served 48.8 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2010. This includes 33.1 million postpaid subscribers (26.6 million via the Sprint brand on CDMA, 6.1 million on iDEN, and 440,000 Power Source users who utilize both networks), 11.6 million prepaid subscribers (7.1 million on CDMA and 4.5 million on iDEN) and approximately 4.1 million wholesale and affiliate subscribers, all of whom utilize our CDMA network.
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1702

**End of 2009 Sprint Nextel had 56.8 Million subscribers. They've bled 8 million between 2009 and 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel#cite_note-Q4FY09-0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.