Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816
 
mgartner0622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
Upgrading Mac Mini Core Solo Processor - Fastest Available?

Hello-
I'm trying to upgrade my Mac Mini with a 1.5GHz Core Solo Processor.
I am under the impression that the T2600 SL8VN Intel Core Duo @ 2.16GHz is the highest one can go... Am I correct?
Did intel make any 1.5GHz or 1.4GHz Core Duos that I could possibly upgrade to that maybe I could find for cheaper? I know it uses a ZIF socket, but I don't know any more specifics.
Thanks!
__________________
15" Late '11 2.5GHz MacBook Pro, Mac Mini Server 2.6GHz , Thunderbolt Display x2, iPod Classic 120GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, Lenovo ThinkPad X240
mgartner0622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
gageray
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I have a core solo that I put a T2300 1.66ghz in, it was all i could afford at the time when I got the machine real cheap to begin with. I think you could put a T7600/sl9sd 2.33ghz core 2 duo in there.
gageray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A small rural village in western Poland
Yes, the SL9 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo is the fastest thing you can put in this mini. I did it in with mine and it handles 1080p decoding well enough to act as an xbmc box hooked up to the tv now.
__________________
Wojtek
More Macs than I can count, really. Like 20 or so...
hwojtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
4JNA
macrumors 68000
 
4JNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: looking for trash files
2 ways to go fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gageray View Post
...I think you could put a T7600/sl9sd 2.33ghz core 2 duo in there.
correct. one cheaper option is the T2700 (core duo 2.33ghz) which has the same clock speed, but is CD instead of C2D.

if you are going to use the mini for media (movies, decoding, etc) then the T7600 is a better option, if it's just a regular computer doing internet/email/documents and such, then the T2700 is a better and cheaper option. other big difference is that the T2700 runs cooler than the T7600.

make sure to max the ram (2gb) when you have it open and apart, and watch out for those goofy plastic mount pins and temp diode on the bottom of the heatsink. best of luck.
__________________
KATE: RISC architecture is gonna change everything. DADE: Yeah. RISC is good.
4JNA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:41 AM   #5
ansalmo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
correct. one cheaper option is the T2700 (core duo 2.33ghz) which has the same clock speed, but is CD instead of C2D.

if you are going to use the mini for media (movies, decoding, etc) then the T7600 is a better option, if it's just a regular computer doing internet/email/documents and such, then the T2700 is a better and cheaper option. other big difference is that the T2700 runs cooler than the T7600.
Also the T7600 has 4MB of cache compared with the 2MB of the T2700, and the T7600 is 64-bit if that's important to the OP. I agree with your use cases though.

I'm running a T7200 in mine and a T5600 (if memory serves) in my other half's. I found the T5600 very cheap, so thought I might as well upgrade that one too.
ansalmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:57 AM   #6
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A small rural village in western Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansalmo View Post
Also the T7600 has 4MB of cache compared with the 2MB of the T2700, and the T7600 is 64-bit if that's important to the OP.
TBH since the chipset Mini uses is 32-bit, this doesn't do any difference performance-wise except for some "better-looking" System Profiler screenshots.
__________________
Wojtek
More Macs than I can count, really. Like 20 or so...
hwojtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
dlee96
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I just upgraded my 1.66 CoreDuo Mac Mini to a 2.33Ghz Core2Duo CPU and noticed that it actually runs about 10c cooler. Found my CPU on ebay for 120.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgartner0622 View Post
Hello-
I'm trying to upgrade my Mac Mini with a 1.5GHz Core Solo Processor.
I am under the impression that the T2600 SL8VN Intel Core Duo @ 2.16GHz is the highest one can go... Am I correct?
Did intel make any 1.5GHz or 1.4GHz Core Duos that I could possibly upgrade to that maybe I could find for cheaper? I know it uses a ZIF socket, but I don't know any more specifics.
Thanks!
dlee96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:37 AM   #8
tekjunke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
I ordered a T7200 for mine last night on eBay for $55
tekjunke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I looked into a CPU upgrade on my Core Duo Mini last year and determined that it would actually cost less to sell my Mini and buy a newer one, than it would to buy just the new CPU. You might want to look into that.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:39 PM   #10
tekjunke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Followup to my processor upgrade.

Installed the T7200 (2.0GHz C2D) $55
Install 2GB of Crucial RAM $38
Installed 500GB/7200RPM Western Digital Black HD $70

Total investment = $163 WELL SPENT

Fresh install of Snow Leopard and this machine is like brand new again... I should be able to squeeze another 18 months minimum out of it.

I highly recommend upgrading if you dont need the GPU horsepower from a newer model.
tekjunke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:10 PM   #11
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
it should handle :
an iTunes library well
stream netflix
surf the net
may be good enough to do eyetv.

not bad for 163. and in a year you will be able to sell it for 150 to 200 on ebay.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekjunke View Post
Followup to my processor upgrade.

Installed the T7200 (2.0GHz C2D) $55
Install 2GB of Crucial RAM $38
Installed 500GB/7200RPM Western Digital Black HD $70

Total investment = $163 WELL SPENT

Fresh install of Snow Leopard and this machine is like brand new again... I should be able to squeeze another 18 months minimum out of it.

I highly recommend upgrading if you dont need the GPU horsepower from a newer model.
Nice.. I already got some extra ram and hd around. Might get a T7200 just for fun. Can't believe it's $55.
Benjamins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:55 AM   #13
jdreier
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I recently put a t7600 2.33ghz processor in my old 1.66 core due mac mini. I boughtt the chip for $140 on ebay with free shipping. It was definitely worth the investment. I also have a SSD in the mini.

This machine handles HD netflix streaming fine. Hulu streaming fine. HD mkv files.

My handbrake encodes have also gotten a lot faster.
jdreier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:32 PM   #14
three-jeeps
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
chip stock market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekjunke View Post
Followup to my processor upgrade.

Installed the T7200 (2.0GHz C2D) $55
Install 2GB of Crucial RAM $38
Installed 500GB/7200RPM Western Digital Black HD $70

Total investment = $163 WELL SPENT

Fresh install of Snow Leopard and this machine is like brand new again... I should be able to squeeze another 18 months minimum out of it.

I highly recommend upgrading if you dont need the GPU horsepower from a newer model.
Currently, the T7200 is ~$50 usd on ebay, and the T7600 is ~$140 usd on ebay. WTF? why is the T7600 so expensive?????

and btw, I am pretty sure I read that the next release of Mac OS X Leo, it will need a Mac to a minimum embedding a Core 2 Duo.

-J
three-jeeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:26 AM   #15
bwrairen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I have the T7200 in mine and it handles 1080p just fine. Paying that extra $100 for the T7600 is not very cost effective if your are building a media box. You just don't need it.
__________________
15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac - mac mini 2.3ghz i5
16gb iPhone 5S -16gb iPad 3 wifi
bwrairen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:18 AM   #16
vip007
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
TBH since the chipset Mini uses is 32-bit, this doesn't do any difference performance-wise except for some "better-looking" System Profiler screenshots.
So does this mean that Lion will not run on macmini1,1 with a CPU upgraded to C2D?
vip007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 07:58 PM   #17
Headrush69
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip007 View Post
So does this mean that Lion will not run on macmini1,1 with a CPU upgraded to C2D?
My guess is this will be as simple modify of OSInstall.mpkg just like in the past.
Headrush69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:35 PM   #18
judobrett
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
hey guys,
this is a perfect page for me right now!

I just managed to pick up a core solo mini for $150(that had already had a 320gig hard drive upgrade)

I was planning on throwing in the T5600 based on the few swapout how to's that ive seen.(monstermini)

This will just be a regular PC for now but I may want to move it to a media center at some point.(hooked up to a 720p hdtv)

Should I be looking at the7600 instead or should i do just fine with the 1.83 C2D?

what types of things would i not be able to with it as a media center if i go with the T5600?

The 5600 is dirt cheap now. (like so cheap that if i snap it while putting the heatsink back on i wouldnt cry. )
thanks all.
i love this site.

brett
judobrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:58 PM   #19
donjuan1498
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Without sounding like a total newbie I am trying to upgrade my Mac mini A1176 1tb HDand 4gb of ram.

I think I am going to go the T7600/sl9sd route but I am not certain on the is the socket is there a specific one I should be looking at?

All I want to do is be able to run lion and stream Xbmc so is this processor over kill? If so what's the best cheapest route?

Thanks in advance.
donjuan1498 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:21 PM   #20
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan1498 View Post
Without sounding like a total newbie I am trying to upgrade my Mac mini A1176 1tb HDand 4gb of ram.

I think I am going to go the T7600/sl9sd route but I am not certain on the is the socket is there a specific one I should be looking at?

All I want to do is be able to run lion and stream Xbmc so is this processor over kill? If so what's the best cheapest route?

Thanks in advance.
Really you could more cheaply go the route of something like a core2duo 1.83ghz and take out the wifi card and put a broadcom crystal HD chip into it. That makes it a killer HTPC.... What kills the A1176 is the crappy intel 950 GPU which no processor is going to overcome. The Broadcom Crystal HD does overcome the limitation of the GPU though....

http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/b...-hd-its-magic/
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Mini Core Solo - HD? andysmith Mac mini 3 Sep 6, 2006 06:02 PM
Mac Mini Core Solo vs Duo Mac Hammer Fan Buying Tips and Advice 28 May 4, 2006 02:46 PM
FS: Mac Mini Core Solo macpastor Marketplace Archive 2 4 Apr 9, 2006 01:40 PM
Installing Windows XP on a Mac Mini Core Solo Hugh Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 7 Apr 3, 2006 04:44 AM
Mac Mini core solo owners need some info MacDonaldsd Buying Tips and Advice 18 Mar 13, 2006 05:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC