Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
How can I upgrade my 3GS and keep my settings and apps?
Which files do I need to back up on my iPhone to upload back once I update?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Right click on your iPhone in iTunes and click "Back Up". Upgrade to the newer firmware (you may have to shift+click restore in iTunes and restore from a downloaded IPSW), Restore to your backup, and then jailbreak again using the new version of Greenpoison.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
Right click on your iPhone in iTunes and click "Back Up". Upgrade to the newer firmware (you may have to shift+click restore in iTunes and restore from a downloaded IPSW), Restore to your backup, and then jailbreak again using the new version of Greenpoison.

Does that backup my jailbreak settings, apps, etc?

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
No. use PKGBackup from Cydia for that

I have 4.1 now, I kind of want to test Airplay with Plex on my Mac Mini.
Should I upgrade to 4.3 now, or wait until June/July-ish for iOS 5?

Either way, I should backup my phone like normal, back up with PKGBackup, update iOS, re-jailbreak, then use iTunes and PKGBackup to restore?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have 4.1 now, I kind of want to test Airplay with Plex on my Mac Mini.
Should I upgrade to 4.3 now, or wait until June/July-ish for iOS 5?

Either way, I should backup my phone like normal, back up with PKGBackup, update iOS, re-jailbreak, then use iTunes and PKGBackup to restore?

There is no stable JB yet for 4.3 so I'd wait till an untethered JB is released and cydia and most packages are updated for it before you update to 4.3

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
There is no stable JB yet for 4.3 so I'd wait till an untethered JB is released and cydia and most packages are updated for it before you update to 4.3

Where should I look to find out about a stable untethered 4.3 jailbreak?
I have a Mac. I think I used Green Pois0n before.

crazycru

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Similar Question

I currently have a 3GS on 3.1.2 (7D11) with baseband 05.11.07. It was jailbroken using blackra1n way back when, and I have been looking to update recently. I know that I don't want to move to 4.3.1 just yet since there is no untethered jailbreak. I just want to confirm that I have the right steps to move to 4.2.1.

1. Sync and backup to iTunes and close iTunes.
2. Backup jailbreak apps using PKGBackup.
3. Download blobs using TinyUmbrella.
4. Start TSS Server and re-open iTunes.
5. Press and hold Shift key (Windows) and click on “Restore”.
6. Point to location where I have 4.2.1 file downloaded from Apple.
7. Let iTunes update firmware.
8. Once update is complete, power off phone.
9. Open up greenpois0n RC6.1, and follow directions to jailbreak.
10.Restore packages using PKGBackup.
11.Sync to iTunes.

Just curious if I have all of these steps in the correct order.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Are you wanting to preserve your bb? If so, you'll need to install a custom firmware. Since you don't have a mac, you can't use pwnage and I haven't heard many good things about the windows equivalent. I suggest you find a friend with a mac or you'll have to search for a custom firmware. IIRC, it's against forum rules to post links to custom firmware.
You install this custom firmware in place of the stock ipsw.
I currently have a 3GS on 3.1.2 (7D11) with baseband 05.11.07. It was jailbroken using blackra1n way back when, and I have been looking to update recently. I know that I don't want to move to 4.3.1 just yet since there is no untethered jailbreak. I just want to confirm that I have the right steps to move to 4.2.1.

11.Sync to iTunes.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

11.Sync to iTunes.

You have an unlockable baseband. You might want to consider using pwnage tool to go to 4.2.1 and retain your 5.11 baseband. Your phone will be worth more if you want to sell it.

The changes to you plan would involve downloading the IPSW and using it with pwnage tool to create a custom firmware. You then put the phone in DFU mode using pwnage tool then open itunes and do shift restore to the custom firmware.

You can use the SHSH files in one of two ways either by starting tss server after downloading the SHSH files from Cydia or alternatively use Cydia by just opening tiny umbrella and leaving it open during the restore. That will point your host file to cydia and use the SHSH on that server.

crazycru

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the info. I have backed up SHSH with TinyUmbrealla already. I do have access to a Macbook, so I will go ahead and try the pwnage option. Once the custom firmware is completed, can I copy that back to my Windows machine and install through iTunes there? Is there a reason why I would have to enter DFU mode and install while on the Mac?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the info. I have backed up SHSH with TinyUmbrealla already. I do have access to a Macbook, so I will go ahead and try the pwnage option. Once the custom firmware is completed, can I copy that back to my Windows machine and install through iTunes there? Is there a reason why I would have to enter DFU mode and install while on the Mac?

You have to enter PWNED dfu mode before you attempt the restore. Either using pwnage or redsnow to do so.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Yes, you can copy the custom firmware to your windows computer. Like applejuiced said, you must use pwnage or redsnow to enter DFU. IIRC, redsnow is windows friendly.

I3laq

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
I am trying to do something very similar to crazycru. I have a 3GS with it's original 3.0 Firmware that just recently did the Jailbreak on and an Unlock. I would like to upgrade to 4.2.1 and keep my phone unlocked (current baseband 04.26.08-6.4_M3S2) then do the Jailbreak for that firmware again.

From what I understand so far I need to:

1. Backup my phone in iTunes (already done)
  2. Download and patch the 4.2.1 firmware with Sn0wbreeze (done)
  3. Do the shift+restore option in iTunes with the custom firmware
  4. Do a "restore from backup" in iTunes to bring back my apps and settings
  5. Jailbreak with Greenpois0n
*I never installed any apps from cydia so I'm not worried about backing up or recovering those.
** I've also aready got my 4.1 and 4.3.1 SHSH files from TinyUmbrella.

I have a few questions dealing with steps 1 and 4. First, the hard drive of the computer I used to sync my phone with crashed a while back so there really isn't any computer my phone is syncing with. Will this effect my ability to upgrade and restore?

Second, will apples firmware upgrade process or the backup and restore process preserve my currently installed applications and all of there data and settings or just the system settings, contacts, messages, etc.?

Thanks

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Check out post #10. It's pretty complete, except for missing the step about custom firmware. I don't know if snowbreeze requires putting the phone into DFU, like pwnage's firmware does. Either way, you'll have to put the phone into DFU at some point before using itunes to open the custom firmware.
IIRC, snowbreeze, like pwnage, jb your phone. You don't have to use greenpoison.
Custom firmware restores your phone (i.e., erases it). You need a backup on the hard drive.
I am trying to do something very similar to crazycru. I have a 3GS with it's original 3.0 Firmware that just recently did the Jailbreak on and an Unlock. I would like to upgrade to 4.2.1 and keep my phone unlocked (current baseband 04.26.08-6.4_M3S2) then do the Jailbreak for that firmware again.

From what I understand so far I need to:

1. Backup my phone in iTunes (already done)
  2. Download and patch the 4.2.1 firmware with Sn0wbreeze (done)
  3. Do the shift+restore option in iTunes with the custom firmware
  4. Do a "restore from backup" in iTunes to bring back my apps and settings
  5. Jailbreak with Greenpois0n
*I never installed any apps from cydia so I'm not worried about backing up or recovering those.
** I've also aready got my 4.1 and 4.3.1 SHSH files from TinyUmbrella.

I have a few questions dealing with steps 1 and 4. First, the hard drive of the computer I used to sync my phone with crashed a while back so there really isn't any computer my phone is syncing with. Will this effect my ability to upgrade and restore?

Second, will apples firmware upgrade process or the backup and restore process preserve my currently installed applications and all of there data and settings or just the system settings, contacts, messages, etc.?

Thanks

I3laq

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Check out post #10. It's pretty complete, except for missing the step about custom firmware. I don't know if snowbreeze requires putting the phone into DFU, like pwnage's firmware does. Either way, you'll have to put the phone into DFU at some point before using itunes to open the custom firmware.
IIRC, snowbreeze, like pwnage, jb your phone. You don't have to use greenpoison.
Custom firmware restores your phone (i.e., erases it). You need a backup on the hard drive.

Thanks! I was thinking everything probably would get wiped, just wanted to make sure. What kind of backup do I need on the hard drive? Is it the backup iTunes creates?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Yes. If you right click the phone, it gives a back up option. After it's done, go to preferences and see which backups are listed. It should show the one you just did. If it doesn't, I'd hold off until you can get that addressed.
Thanks! I was thinking everything probably would get wiped, just wanted to make sure. What kind of backup do I need on the hard drive? Is it the backup iTunes creates?

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
How do I know if I used ultrasn0w or not.
I don't remember. I think it was green poison.
I'm on a Mac with 3GS 4.1 (8B117), ATT 8.0, Model MC137LL, Modem 05.14.02

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
How do I know if I used ultrasn0w or not.
I don't remember. I think it was green poison.
I'm on a Mac with 3GS 4.1 (8B117), ATT 8.0, Model MC137LL, Modem 05.14.02

1. Open Cydia
2. click on manage
3. click on repo666.ultrasn0w.com
4. see if you have a green check mark next to ultrasn0w. If the check mark there, you have installed Ultrasn0w, if not, you have not installed it.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
aptbackup is another good app

I upgraded to 4.3.2 and jailbroke with Redsn0w.
Everything went smoothly until I started adding stuff from Cydia.
If installed more than one item from Cydia, it turns my 3GS into an iPod Touch.
My phone and SMS icons are gone, and Music and Video app icons appear.
If I uninstall everything from Cydia, it goes back to normal.
Any help? Should I re-jailbreak?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.