Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
FongMan
macrumors regular

Wireless Printer & Guest network

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice here, I have a Dual band Time Capsule setup. I connected my wireless printer to the guest network so people can print freely. It works fine and anybody on the guest network can print freely, however those that are on the main wireless can't. How do I add the printer to my computer if it's on the guest network?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice here, I have a Dual band Time Capsule setup. I connected my wireless printer to the guest network so people can print freely. It works fine and anybody on the guest network can print freely, however those that are on the main wireless can't. How do I add the printer to my computer if it's on the guest network?
When you get that answer I'm all ears. Had the same issue w/my samsung wireless using G and slowing down my N band. When I put the printer on the guest network, can't print.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:44 PM   #3
bmcgonag
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to bmcgonag
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
When you get that answer I'm all ears. Had the same issue w/my samsung wireless using G and slowing down my N band. When I put the printer on the guest network, can't print.
Can you ping an ip address on the guest network from the main network? IF so, try setting up the printer using its IP address on the guest network.
bmcgonag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:42 PM   #4
FongMan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
Can you ping an ip address on the guest network from the main network? IF so, try setting up the printer using its IP address on the guest network.
I tried pinging something in the guest network via network util but 100% packet loss
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:22 AM   #5
samh
macrumors 6502

I don't know how the Apple Guest Network system works, but explain to me why you think this can be done?

Usually Guest Networking is done by creating a virtual LAN. The whole point of a VLAN is for traffic to behave as though the two networks aren't even connected. You set up a guest network in part to keep traffic out of your "real" LAN -- so is the router just supposed to know that printers are a very special exception?
samh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:55 AM   #6
FongMan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh View Post
I don't know how the Apple Guest Network system works, but explain to me why you think this can be done?

Usually Guest Networking is done by creating a virtual LAN. The whole point of a VLAN is for traffic to behave as though the two networks aren't even connected. You set up a guest network in part to keep traffic out of your "real" LAN -- so is the router just supposed to know that printers are a very special exception?
Hey Samh, you are correct, and that is exactly why I have the guest network setup. However I know that you can setup a computer at the Office to print to a printer at home which is two completely different networks. So I was hoping there was a similiar solution here where I can tell it to connect to the router or a computer and from there find the printer and connect to it.

If it can't be done and I need to buy a 2nd printer then that's fine. I was just hoping to find a way around that.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
bmcgonag
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to bmcgonag
I'm not overly familiar with airport networks, sorry...but is your printer connected wirelessly? If so, can you connect it via USB to the airport station and see if you can then use it from both networks?
bmcgonag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:56 AM   #8
FongMan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
I'm not overly familiar with airport networks, sorry...but is your printer connected wirelessly? If so, can you connect it via USB to the airport station and see if you can then use it from both networks?
I was thinking about that, the problem is it's an office and the location from the Printer and the Time Capsule are too far apart, the hassle of running a cable is a bit inconvenient and I'd rather just buy a 2nd printer, but it is a good point bmcgonag.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help