Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
clivechafer
macrumors newbie

Problems migrating from iBook to MacBook

I used Migration Assistant to move everything from my iBook G4 running 10.4.11 to my MacBook running 10.6.6, but after the process, only a few things (mostly Applications) were on the MacBook. No documents, photos, mailboxes, iTunes files,... After the Users and Documents phases (which took hours using a wireless network connection - I have no Firewire) I got a message saying some files could not be moved to my new computer, but no info as to why or which files. Can anyone help? Do I have to go in and move them manually, using the external hard drive I use for backup? Thanks.
clivechafer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
jchase2057
macrumors regular

bummer

thats exactly why i will never get a mac without firewire. anyway thats a common problem. upgrade your g4 to 10.5 then try to migrate again. its worked for a couple buddies of mine. if you dont have an 867mhz or faster cpu then google an app called leopard assist and run it before you install 10.5.
OS X 10.6.8
jchase2057 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
I would never try migrating without using Time Machine. That was honestly the easiest move to a new computer I've ever experienced. I went from my iBook with Leopard to my MacBook with Snow Leopard. The transfer was seamless, took a few hours, and everything was on my MacBook as if I was still on my iBook.

However, I would still be the sort of person to move everything using an external hard drive if I only wanted to pick and choose items. For instance, I didn't want my iMac I leave at work to have everything; just songs, a select few documents, and some other files. Other than that, Time Machine all the way. I'll never not use it - the 3 other Macs I have all have externals keeping them safe. Time Machine is one of my favorite applications ever.
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs