Iphone 4-Any way to Get T9 texting?? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
pittguy578
macrumors member

Iphone 4-Any way to Get T9 texting??

I went from a Droid Incredible to an Iphone this morning. I am seriously considering taking the Iphone back due to the texting issue. I love T9, and I am able to text with one hand while doing it. I am much slower with the keyboard.
Is there any way to get T9 texting on the Iphone whether its through jailbreaking or anything else? I am not sure if the Iphone and I are a match if I can't somehow do this.
pittguy578 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:26 PM   #2
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittguy578 View Post
I went from a Droid Incredible to an Iphone this morning. I am seriously considering taking the Iphone back due to the texting issue. I love T9, and I am able to text with one hand while doing it. I am much slower with the keyboard.
Is there any way to get T9 texting on the Iphone whether its through jailbreaking or anything else? I am not sure if the Iphone and I are a match if I can't somehow do this.
It's QWERTY or bust for the iPhone, there was a T9 app that was created not sure if it is even still around and it only worked for emails, not texts...
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I dont think such thing exists in Cydia for the latest firmware or on stock Apple firmware keyboard versions.
You can probably get a T9 app on the appstore but you would have to type in the T9 app then copy and paste into the Messages/Email app.
Major pain IMO.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

wow, a T9 fan. You are a dying breed.
PhoneI is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
wow, a T9 fan. You are a dying breed.
I prefer T9 as well.. I do lots of things well with 1 hand..
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:57 PM   #6
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSem1noles View Post
thats funny...I have to use both hands.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSem1noles View Post
You gotta switch hands once in a while
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
pittguy578
macrumors member

I am still in shock this is not an option. I really wanted to like this phone, but if I am out and about I don't want to be having to stop to use both hands to send simple text messages. They don't even offer Swype or anything that would speed things up. I am going to give this a shot through the weekend, but it may be going back next week for an Android phone. The point of a phone is social contact/communication, and typing with both hands makes me not want to communicate.
pittguy578 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:46 PM   #9
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Trust me, once you get used to the iPhone keyboard for texting, you'll be left wondering how you could ever like T9 - or want this old fashioned technology to be included in a 21st century device!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:50 PM   #10
mo25
macrumors member

Write SJ an email and ask for swpye for the iPhone. You will be able to text with one hand again then.

Honestly swpye couldn't come any sooner.
mo25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:58 PM   #11
pittguy578
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
Trust me, once you get used to the iPhone keyboard for texting, you'll be left wondering how you could ever like T9 - or want this old fashioned technology to be included in a 21st century device!
Am I doing it wrong by typing letter by letter?
I am totally confused how people can say it's faster.
pittguy578 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo25 View Post
Write SJ an email and ask for swpye for the iPhone. You will be able to text with one hand again then.

Honestly swpye couldn't come any sooner.
I know people who really love Swype. I tried it on my HTC Incredible and couldn't really get the hang of it. I could do it, but I found it distracting since my brain and fingers are used to typing letter by letter - I found myself have to think about how things were spelled instead of instinctively typing them out.

Maybe I'm just too old to switch to Swype. But until my phone reads my thoughts, I think I'll stick to Qwerty.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:35 PM   #13
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Am I doing it wrong by typing letter by letter?
I am totally confused how people can say it's faster.
Are you paying attention to which letters you're pressing? Try not to. It's got a pretty good auto-correction algorithm built in, which will correct what you're typing in as you go along.

Of course this only works if you use correct english, but the same applies to T9 as far as I know?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:07 PM   #14
james92se
macrumors 6502a

Am I seriously the only person in the world who uses the iPhone one handed?

I hear people complain about having to use two hands on the iPhone but I never have needed to use both hands. I can seriously just blast away one handed typing on the iPhone with either hand (using either thumb). In fact, I'm MUCH slower using both hands because I find myself trying to "think" about which thumb to use for which letter and it's just so slow.

Probably the hardest thing for "newbs" to understand/recognize when using the iPhone is that it's autocorrect feature is blazing fast. Seriously, you can just blast away and if you're even remotely close the phone will automatically correct it with amazing accuracy (although, yes, there are some quirks, but it is much better than other phones on the market). This is the main thing I've noticed that slows people down on it. They meticulously type letter by letter and if they get one wrong they erase it, rather than "trusting" it and blasting away.

And my brother is a die-hard T9 guy. He refuses to give up his clam-shell phone because he loves T9 so much!
james92se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:21 PM   #15
mightygitis
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I typed this message entirely with my left hand in portrait mode. Learning curve people?
mightygitis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:59 PM   #16
soldierblue
macrumors 6502

Did I just step into 2005?
iPhone 5s | iPad Mini | Nexus 7
soldierblue is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:09 PM   #17
pittguy578
macrumors member

Ok it is getting better. I didn't know how the autocorrect worked..this may be tolerable. I feel like such a noob..I thought I had gotten pnwed by Steve Jobs.. I am going to keep the phone.
pittguy578 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Congrats
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ok it is getting better. I didn't know how the autocorrect worked..this may be tolerable. I feel like such a noob..I thought I had gotten pnwed by Steve Jobs.. I am going to keep the phone.
Glad it worked out for you, honestly, it took me a couple weeks to get used to my 2G when I first got it. I don't think I'm going to be able to go to anything else now, typing on the phone is great.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Lori30
macrumors newbie

Iphone T9

I have the Thunderbolt and it has T9; I am thinking of switching to the IPhone (for my own personal reasons, please no comments as to whether you think that smart or stupid), but I really need the T9 on the IPhone. Have any of you had any luck getting T9 on the IPhone? Thanks!
Lori30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:18 AM   #21
Lori30
macrumors newbie

IPhone T9

I have a Thunderbolt and am wanting to switch to an IPhone (for my own personal reasons, please no comments). Have any of you had any luck in getting the T9 on the IPhone? That is the way my brain works - I want to use one hand and T9 is what works for me.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:21 AM   #22
Lori30
macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks Osad for responding. I was hoping there was an app I could use on the IPhone so I could have T9.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:12 AM   #23
ob1gus
macrumors newbie

try "Keypad 2" app at the itunes store: like a nokia phone with T9...
ob1gus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #24
ob1gus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1gus View Post
try "Keypad 2" app at the itunes store: like a nokia phone with T9...
here's a link: http://web.me.com/khurma/T-9/About.html
ob1gus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:24 PM   #25
mainmike
macrumors newbie

T9 application for iPhone

Ive also been longing for T9 and Multitap (numeric) keyboard ever since i sold my Sony Ericsson and purchased my first iPhone. Unfortunately Apple won't offer T9 function for iPhone users, their sticking to the qwerty. Neither would they allow 3rd party app integration to their sms app. However, I've tried a few of them T9 application for iPhone like keypad2, smspad9, fastpad etc.), and my favorite is "MultiTap text" so far. Easy to use (pretty much like Sony Ericsson) and there is sending function like copy, sms, email and also FB and twitter. (Hopefully in future Apple would allow 3rd party app integration, that would be great!)

In MY opinion by far the best T9 application for iphone:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multi...511916874?mt=8
mainmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone