Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IAmTheCrack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
So I've been an iPhone user since the 3G launched and I'm a little perplexed by something I've noticed over the past few days. Since switching to Verizon earlier this week--I've noticed that when I'm a call and receive an another call--if I end the first call--it hangs up on both of them instead of switching to the incoming call waiting. In the past--when I'd hang up on the first call--the new one would be answered seamlessly. Is this a limitation of the Verizon network or a software bug? Any insights? Pretty frustrating.

jedisky

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Me too

I've noticed the same thing, it hangs up on both calls, but from what I've been able to dig up it's a CDMA limitation. I can't imagine Apple not fixing it if it was just a software issue.

Verizon's answer is to select hold and answer.

If you find anything else you, please let me know as well.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Same exact problem on 2 verizon iphones. I have have baffled the apple store i called and verizon 611 so far. This is a big problem in my opinion as if you answer the other line while the first call is on hold, if you hit 'end' on the second caller both get hung up on instead of just the one active call!?

IAmTheCrack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
So I've researched this a bit as well. And unfortunately, it does seem like it's a CDMA limitation. I called AppleCare. They seemed completely baffled. Called Verizon and got connected to a lovely CS rep who I'm confident was legally retarded. After around 20 excruciating minutes on the phone with him--he finally concluded that "that's just the way it works" on Verizon.

Then spoke to my brother who's been on Verizon for years who confirmed that that's what it is.

Apparently to answer an incoming call and end the call you're on--you have to end your existing call..and around 7 seconds later your phone will ring again with the incoming call. Completely backwards and endlessly frustrating after years of using the iPhone on AT&T. Gonna be a hard adjustment--but hey--at least I can hold my calls now. It's been a week--and I've already shaken that "oh, ****. when's my call gonna drop?" anxiety i've been living with for the past few years.

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had Verizon for years and it works this way regardless of the phone. You can switch lines and allow the person on the other end to disconnect, or you can hang up and wait for the call to ringback again. I never realized this was a Verizon thing until now.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had Verizon for years and it works this way regardless of the phone. You can switch lines and allow the person on the other end to disconnect, or you can hang up and wait for the call to ringback again. I never realized this was a Verizon thing until now.

It's a Verizon problem, not an iPhone problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.