Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
twkidM3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Looking for a MBA 13 to replace current setup

So, I've been a PC guy for all my life and never really understood the rave about Mac computers and why people consider them. Recently bought an ipad for general purpose browsing and just to place around. I was really surprised at the build quality and how it performed and was interested to steer my PC direction to a Mac.

My current setup is:
Asus Ul30VT-X1 - BLACK

* Clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium on new SSD
* 4gb of Ram, Intel x25-M 80gb G2, Intel Integrated + G210M Graphics Card.
* Bought an additonal External Enclosure for the 500GB HDD that came with the laptop

How would a MBA 13 Ultimate compare to my current setup? My current computer can be "turboed" at a single touch of a button from 1.2ghz to 1.83ghz.

I'm looking for small form factor at 13in and the MBA seems like a winning candidate, well besides the Vaio Z.
twkidM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
axu539
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Based on specs alone, you should see a significant performance increase (both the CPU and GPU are better). Also, the SSD in a 13" MBA is larger and faster than the Intel X-25 M series (not that Intel isn't terrific - I have one in my MBP). However, you are paying a significant amount more on the Air. If you have the money, it'll be well worth it.
axu539 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:15 AM   #3
shazzam
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
If u are coming from Windows then go try out Mac OS X before laying down the money. If it does what u want it to do and can afford it then Macs are GREAT.
shazzam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:22 AM   #4
twkidM3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzam View Post
If u are coming from Windows then go try out Mac OS X before laying down the money. If it does what u want it to do and can afford it then Macs are GREAT.
this topic has been discussed probably a billion times anyways. many people say you pay to use an apple because of apple tax. but i'm fine with that. Just want to know if it's truly worth the jump.

i've never used the newer version of iOS before. But i've played with the macbook several times at the store. Knowing a lot about a PC, i don't think the switch would be very hard?
twkidM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
axu539
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by twkidM3 View Post
this topic has been discussed probably a billion times anyways. many people say you pay to use an apple because of apple tax. but i'm fine with that. Just want to know if it's truly worth the jump.

i've never used the newer version of iOS before. But i've played with the macbook several times at the store. Knowing a lot about a PC, i don't think the switch would be very hard?
If you're fine with paying a little bit more, and you're fine with OS X, then definitely make the switch. You won't be disappointed. I switched the Macs 7 years ago and never turned back. Now when I am forced to use Windows, I always feel a little... restrained.
axu539 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
twkidM3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu539 View Post
If you're fine with paying a little bit more, and you're fine with OS X, then definitely make the switch. You won't be disappointed. I switched the Macs 7 years ago and never turned back. Now when I am forced to use Windows, I always feel a little... restrained.
I think the only restrain that I actually have is finding the programs I commonly use on iOS.
twkidM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:46 AM   #7
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
"Turbo" is pretty much a useless silly scam.
Hardware is one thing but what really matters in this scenario is OS X vs Windows. OS X makes much better use of hardware resources than Windows such as processor and memory. The SSD in the MBA was designed by Toshiba in conjunction with Apple to provide best performance for OS X.
Asus laptops are OK but not the build quality, quality control, and service support that Apple provides.
I expect the MBA to outperform your Asus with the great advantage of OS X over Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twkidM3 View Post
So, I've been a PC guy for all my life and never really understood the rave about Mac computers and why people consider them. Recently bought an ipad for general purpose browsing and just to place around. I was really surprised at the build quality and how it performed and was interested to steer my PC direction to a Mac.

My current setup is:
Asus Ul30VT-X1 - BLACK

* Clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium on new SSD
* 4gb of Ram, Intel x25-M 80gb G2, Intel Integrated + G210M Graphics Card.
* Bought an additonal External Enclosure for the 500GB HDD that came with the laptop

How would a MBA 13 Ultimate compare to my current setup? My current computer can be "turboed" at a single touch of a button from 1.2ghz to 1.83ghz.

I'm looking for small form factor at 13in and the MBA seems like a winning candidate, well besides the Vaio Z.
__________________
Mac user since 1984.
DarwinOSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying MacBook to replace current desktop and Laptop Reclzz Buying Tips and Advice 11 Apr 25, 2014 11:05 AM
Use old .ITL file to replace current metadata? jaw04005 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Sep 2, 2012 01:15 PM
Should I replace my MBP with latest MBA or keep it and buy refurb MBA? yensteel Buying Tips and Advice 5 Jun 29, 2012 01:52 AM
Should I replace my 2010 iMac 10,1 with the current? Buffsteria iMac 10 Jun 16, 2012 01:55 AM
Should I replace my iMac 10,1 with the current? Buffsteria Buying Tips and Advice 2 Jun 15, 2012 02:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC