Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
japjoe7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Is there a way to only delete emails on the device, but keep them in Outlook/Exchang?

Simple and straight forward question with hopefully a easy answer. I do NOT want emails I delete on my iPhone to be delete from my Outlook/exchange account. Is there a way to only delete emails on the device, but keep them in Outlook? I want the same email functionality as a blackberry, I can choose to delete my email on the device only or delete it to the exchange account as well.
japjoe7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2
EddieLucitt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
If you have a POP3 e-mail service, you can choose to have it so your emails don't get deleted on the server when you delete it from a client. Basically the mail would be downloaded to your phone from the server, and then the messages are just downloaded files on your device. If you would like to delete the emails, you would have to get on your official email providers webmail client and delete them there.

If you are looking for a way to separate this from your iPhone and your Outlook, I can't think of a way this would work.

Hope this helped.
EddieLucitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:17 AM   #3
japjoe7
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLucitt View Post
If you have a POP3 e-mail service, you can choose to have it so your emails don't get deleted on the server when you delete it from a client. Basically the mail would be downloaded to your phone from the server, and then the messages are just downloaded files on your device. If you would like to delete the emails, you would have to get on your official email providers webmail client and delete them there.

If you are looking for a way to separate this from your iPhone and your Outlook, I can't think of a way this would work.

Hope this helped.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see if our Exchange server is setup for POP3.
japjoe7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4
JamesMB
macrumors 65816
 
JamesMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by japjoe7 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see if our Exchange server is setup for POP3.
If you open your email account settings (for that particular account) on your phone, do you have a selection for "Archive Messages?
I'm not using exchange, but IMAP, which is similar, does have that setting.
__________________
Search with: MRoogle
15" MBP 2.66 I7, with 4GB...iPhone 4 16GB
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
japjoe7
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
If you open your email account settings (for that particular account) on your phone, do you have a selection for "Archive Messages?
I'm not using exchange, but IMAP, which is similar, does have that setting.
No, I dont have that option. I don't have it setup as an IMAP, I have it setup as an exchange account.
japjoe7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:21 PM   #6
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
You could set it up to sync only so many days in the past. For example, after three days, a message would no longer show on the device but still be on the server.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:01 PM   #7
japjoe7
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
So, my resolution was to setup my exchange account as a POP3 account this way I can delete the email and not worry about losing what I have on my exchange account. Only problem is that it's not instant delivery, ugg!

Last edited by japjoe7; Feb 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
japjoe7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:11 PM   #8
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
You could go back to an IMAP/Exchange setup, create a new folder, and move the mail you don't want to see in your inbox to that folder.
__________________
Brian Baughn
Baughn Consulting
Baltimore, MD
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way to get amazon prime on the atv ? Che Castro Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Aug 24, 2011 11:31 AM
Is there a way to only require password when the computer is NOT plugged in? zorahk MacBook Pro 3 Sep 9, 2010 08:39 AM
Is there a way to receive push emails on iPod Touch while it is in sleep mode? saberahul iPod touch 4 Jan 8, 2009 08:12 PM
Is there a way to place videos/music ON the iPhone without iTunes? JPIndustrie Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Aug 27, 2008 10:49 PM
Is there a way to turn off iSight on the new iMac? RyanSA4 Mac Pro 32 Dec 30, 2005 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC