Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1
lPHONE
Banned

Wink Apparently, Apple is now blocking jailbroken/unlocked phones from being restored-1015

I've been doing some research on error 1015- and I have concluded that Apple is trying to brick our phones. Sure, the Apple docs say 1015 is an error you get when trying to downgrade firmware, but I'm finding another story...

Apparently, a lot of people with jailbroken phones have been getting error 1015 from iTunes when they try to do a clean install of IOS from DFU or Recovery Mode... I new it would only be a matter of time until Apple started hacking the hackers.

And now it's happening to me.
lPHONE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
chr
macrumors member

Cool conspiracy theory, dude, but you're just being ignorant.

It's an error generated when you've edited your hosts file--if you didn't edit it, then it's because you've used TinyUmbrella to preserve your shsh and it edited it.

You can use TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of recovery or manually edit your hosts file and remove (or comment out) the line pointing to gs.apple.com
chr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lPHONE View Post
I've been doing some research on error 1015- and I have concluded that Apple is trying to brick our phones. Sure, the Apple docs say 1015 is an error you get when trying to downgrade firmware, but I'm finding another story...

Apparently, a lot of people with jailbroken phones have been getting error 1015 from iTunes when they try to do a clean install of IOS from DFU or Recovery Mode... I new it would only be a matter of time until Apple started hacking the hackers.

And now it's happening to me.
If you're getting the 1015 error from an attempt at a fresh install/restore then you've got a software/baseband mismatch issue going on. For example if your baseband right now is 6.15.00 and try to do a simple restore, it's gonna get stuck in recovery mode with that error. This is nothing new.
Kadin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Benji222
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Benji222 Send a message via Skype™ to Benji222
snip
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:59 PM   #5
lPHONE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone
"My iPhone's broke. Apple pawn3d me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr View Post
"no, you're just being ignorant."

thanks... i guess.

Last edited by lPHONE; Feb 11, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:03 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6

quite the leap you made op when you encounter difficulty and instantly think apple is out to get ya lol
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
lPHONE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
quite the leap you made op when you encounter difficulty and instantly think apple is out to get ya lol
that's just me being ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
If you're getting the 1015 error from an attempt at a fresh install/restore then you've got a software/baseband mismatch issue going on. For example if your baseband right now is 6.15.00 and try to do a simple restore, it's gonna get stuck in recovery mode with that error. This is nothing new.
Is there a solution?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
lPHONE
Banned

edit double post
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:09 PM   #9
zenio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Your approach is very revealing of who you are...

Take a look in the mirror
zenio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Kayan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenio View Post
Your approach is very revealing of who you are...

Take a look in the mirror
The mirror points in your direction too
Kayan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:23 PM   #11
starsmiiles
macrumors newbie

I just recently had this problem, only my error was 1013. If you remove all the lines containing "gs.apple.com" in your host file, it should work fine.
starsmiiles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Is there a solution?
Well typically you have to update the software with a custom .ipsw which doesn't update the baseband. One can be created via Pwnage Tool or found online...
Kadin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Is there a solution?
Use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and your phone will be updated with the firmware you install.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:33 PM   #14
chr
macrumors member

Quote:

Is there a solution?
Did you read my post? I explained the solution.
chr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Synergie
macrumors 6502

Yup I had a similar error when I upgraded to 4.2.1 from 4.1 JB with Limera1n. Except that I got 1013 Unknown Error. It only took me about 15 mins of research to find out about the checkbox in Tiny Umbrella in the advanced tab that allowed the hosts file to point to cydia. Unchecking that and reloading iTunes solved it.

Think about it... if Apple bricked phones that people paid for, that would be illegal I think! Apple does not own the device once you buy it! They may try to stop exploits because of security risks, but in reality I don't think they want to stop jailbreaking completely... because they'd lose a TON of customers (myself included) who feel that the iphone in it's native state is a piece of useless iCrap that needs to be jailbroken just to make it do things that other smartphones do by default!! If jailbreaking were ever completely stopped for good, I'd be gone... probably to Android at this point in time.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:01 AM   #16
murdercitydevil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergie View Post
Yup I had a similar error when I upgraded to 4.2.1 from 4.1 JB with Limera1n. Except that I got 1013 Unknown Error. It only took me about 15 mins of research to find out about the checkbox in Tiny Umbrella in the advanced tab that allowed the hosts file to point to cydia. Unchecking that and reloading iTunes solved it.

Think about it... if Apple bricked phones that people paid for, that would be illegal I think! Apple does not own the device once you buy it! They may try to stop exploits because of security risks, but in reality I don't think they want to stop jailbreaking completely... because they'd lose a TON of customers (myself included) who feel that the iphone in it's native state is a piece of useless iCrap that needs to be jailbroken just to make it do things that other smartphones do by default!! If jailbreaking were ever completely stopped for good, I'd be gone... probably to Android at this point in time.
They don't own the device but they own the software and no software = no device. Still, Apple isn't hacking anyone.
murdercitydevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Aatos.1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsmiiles View Post
I just recently had this problem, only my error was 1013. If you remove all the lines containing "gs.apple.com" in your host file, it should work fine.
+1

One can always outsmart Apple if you are a good hacker.

The fanboys can live in denial that Apple is sinister...ha..ha...ha...
Aatos.1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:19 AM   #18
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

As somone else already correctly pointed out this is caused by your host file being edited by Tiny Umbella.

There are more and more threads on this topic every day and personally I think Notcom made a bad decision to edit the host file on exit from Tiny umbrella.

No matter how many times you put your host file back to normal Tiny umbrella will edit it again the next time you run it.

The only permanent fix to this is to go into tiny umbrella and select advance mode and uncheck the box that says change host file to cydia on exit, when you close TU it
will normalise your host file.

It might help a few from accidentally updating their baseband on ip4 but it is preventing those that want to do a standard restore from apple.

I found that even after making this change and unchecking the box if you leave TU open your host file is modified until you close it again.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:29 AM   #19
imac9556
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
As somone else already correctly pointed out this is caused by your host file being edited by Tiny Umbella.

There are more and more threads on this topic every day and personally I think Notcom made a bad decision to edit the host file on exit from Tiny umbrella.

No matter how many times you put your host file back to normal Tiny umbrella will edit it again the next time you run it.

The only permanent fix to this is to go into tiny umbrella and select advance mode and uncheck the box that says change host file to cydia on exit, when you close TU it

It might help a few from accidentally updating their baseband on ip4 but it is preventing those that want to do a standard restore from apple.

I found that even after making this change and unchecking the box if you leave TU open your host file is modified until you close it again.
+1 +1 +1 +1
You are absolutely right... I had to send back my iPhone 4 to Apple and completely clear out/restore my phone. I kept on getting error 1013's or whatever after the restore was complete.
That was until I remembered to UNcheck the box about change the host file under TinyUmbrella's advanced settings. It even says UNcheck if you want a "clean restore"
After I did that, I clicked restore again and everything went through smoothly
imac9556 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:46 AM   #20
starsmiiles
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post

I wish I would have known this! I didn't realize TU altered the host file and routed it to Cydia. Thanks for point it out!
starsmiiles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Mystikal
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Quote:

It's an error generated when you've edited your hosts file--if you didn't edit it, then it's because you've used TinyUmbrella to preserve your shsh and it edited it.

You can use TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of recovery or manually edit your hosts file and remove (or comment out) the line pointing to gs.apple.com
Also, DFU mode can be your friend.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:20 PM   #22
kre62
macrumors 65816

In case anyone wants to actually know why this is happening, it's because iTunes tries to sign your baseband at the end of the install. Cydia can't save baseband signatures, so if it tries to go out and get the sig, and you have it redirected to Cydia through your hosts file, it cant get the sig and fails. Nothing to do with jailbreaking.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:39 PM   #23
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

It's not that hard a fix. Follow the guide in my signature.
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:13 PM   #24
lPHONE
Banned

OK, I just tried to restore & update on a brand new pc with a fresh copy of iTunes and STILL get 1015. If Apple is not blocking the restore, then what?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:32 PM   #25
kmpoboy2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
OK, I just tried to restore & update on a brand new pc with a fresh copy of iTunes and STILL get 1015. If Apple is not blocking the restore, then what?
What phone are you triying to restore? Model?, iOS?, Baseband?
kmpoboy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks