Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Couldn't help but notice a few large avatars recently. One I just saw now being 100px x 100px

Is it me or are these guidelines ambiguous?

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Just curious...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I always thought it meant it can't be larger than either 75x75 or 19.5KB. The comparison they give is hard to understand - theoretically you could have a black and white 'tar that was 140 pixels square that was less than 19.5KB (uncompressed).

Edit: do you have a link to the larger avatar?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I asked Mudbug about this a while ago. The rules are 75x75, 19.5KB. But when they were having some troubles with vBulletin a few slipped through the net because the rules weren't working properly.

It's a bit irritating, I'd love a 100x100 'tar ;) :D oh well...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
edesignuk said:
Example (Not picking on you 7on, just happened to be the first I noticed).

That's the one I also noticed. And it's new... so what gives?

Go on E, try a mega-Keira, see what happens...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i noticed 7on's 'tar too, i wouldnt mind a 100x100 size limit, but i suppose some people would be annoyed by it, but i dont see why we cant have it, bandwith issues?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
edesignuk said:
Maybe it could be a perk for contributing (becoming a demi), I'm sure it'd make a good selling point.

thats a good idea, although right now no one can contribute, and here with my raise i just got have been wanting to give MR some of my money, i dont even need a mug LoL :p

contributors should get some extra perks, besides the name & private chats, it would certainly get more people to pony up their money for a larger 'tar

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Dr. Dastardly said:
I have noticed a couple of people (sorry cant remember who exactly) that have just regular or member status but have tars. Is this another slip up or something.
Not that it solves the mystery, but I remember when I turned to "6502" status, I put up a 'tar and subsequently some of the threads I had recently posted to were wastelanded or moved to the Poli Forum etc, erasing those posts from my total. So for a few days, I was still a "regular" with an avatar. Circumstances may vary...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Dr. Dastardly said:
I have noticed a couple of people (sorry cant remember who exactly) that have just regular or member status but have tars. Is this another slip up or something.
Could well be the couple of people that have won contests where the prize was a 'tar, regardless of post count.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
blackfox said:
Not that it solves the mystery, but I remember when I turned to "6502" status, I put up a 'tar and subsequently some of the threads I had recently posted to were wastelanded or moved to the Poli Forum etc, erasing those posts from my total. So for a few days, I was still a "regular" with an avatar. Circumstances may vary...
Actually, i PM'd one of them recently... and he said He was well over 500 and got his tar, then They stopped making political forum posts count, so he got subtracted to under 500. He still has his 'tar because you have to delete it first.

That was one person though.

kyle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.