Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:21 AM   #1
microstoc1
macrumors newbie

Help with macros in Office For Mac 2011

I wonder if anyone with Office For Mac 2011 can give me some help.

I have a Microsoft Excel workbook that contains Macros.
I would like to know if the Workbook and the Macros will perform correctly in Office For Mac 2011.
Do Macros work in 2011?

I have attached a zipped up Excel Workbook that contains Macro driven buttons.
If the Macros are working then when a button is pressed the user will be taken to the related Worksheet.

Do the buttons work on your Mac Office 2011?

I have a number of clients that may need to upgrade to 2011, but I cannot advise this until I know that the Windows Macros will work.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

(I can send the xls file via personal email if the zip will not unzip on the Mac.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip macrotest.zip (191.1 KB, 164 views)
microstoc1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
emiljan
macrumors 6502

I just tried them both in office 2010 for windows and office 2011 for mac. Under windows the macros ran fine, and everything worked.

Under Office 2011 for mac this is what i got.

The macros page could not be expanded to show all of the buttons and clicking on the exit button did nothing. Also it would not allow me to exit Excel, the menu bar was grayed out.
emiljan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:52 AM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstoc1 View Post
I wonder if anyone with Office For Mac 2011 can give me some help.

I have a Microsoft Excel workbook that contains Macros.
I would like to know if the Workbook and the Macros will perform correctly in Office For Mac 2011.
Do Macros work in 2011?

I have attached a zipped up Excel Workbook that contains Macro driven buttons.
If the Macros are working then when a button is pressed the user will be taken to the related Worksheet.

Do the buttons work on your Mac Office 2011?

I am in the process of examining this workbook in Excel:win. However, it is clear that it has some conceptual problems. The most obvious is that an .xls spreadsheet is not the native format of Excel 2010 and Excel 2010. An .xls workbook should be compatible with Excel 2003 and Excel 2004. Your worksheet works as intended in Excel 2003. My attempt to open it in Excel 2004 resulted in a compile error. My experience with Excel 2011 was the same as emiljan's--the workbook froze the application.

I suspect that [some of] your macros are Windows-only. By this I mean that VBA has the complete run of the system in Windows. However, it is limited to the Office environment on the Mac.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
microstoc1
macrumors newbie

Tests

Hi EmilJan

Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to test the workbook on your Mac and Windows system and getting back to me. It is greatly appreciated.
I can now see what is happening on the Mac (not a lot by the look of it).

Thanks

Steve
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:37 PM   #5
microstoc1
macrumors newbie

tests

Hi MisterMe

Thanks very much for your input on this matter. Your comments have given me a few ideas and opened up my horizon.

The Workbook automation makes use of Vba code and also UserForms. I am wondering if UserForms is the cause of this problem maybe the support/engine for this is not present (or has changed) on the Mac.

I will also try saving the Workbook in Excel 2010 and create an .XlsX file.

update ... after a bit of googling with 'userforms' I came across a discussion where a coder has had to alter the syntax of some code lines, to make them compatible with Excel2011.mac (rather much like changing VB6 code to DotNet code). I am now thinking I may have to alter the code to make it compatible with the Vba in Mac 2011 (Vba7?).

When you say it works fine in Excel 2003 and fails in Excel 2004, was this test done on a Mac? The code was written in Excel 2000. As far as I know the Workbooks perform ok on all Excel.win versions up to 2010.

Thanks

Steve

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store