Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rumfoord2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Need some help here.

Im getting the blue screen and spinning wheel at shutdown, computer wont turn off.
I run Techtool Deluxe and my Volume Structure fails (passes surface scan).
Disk Utility says volume is fine......

Im sure an erase and install would do the trick but I would really like to know more about what the issue is, how it happened, and how to avoid it in the future. As well as if its fixable without a clean install.

Just getting into the tech side of life so any direction on troubleshooting this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Black MacBook (early 2008)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3MB shared
800MHz
2GB (two 1GB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
A blue screen at shutdown is normal. A spinning wheel on the blue screen is also normal - were you running a lot of apps before shutting done? Did you recently clear caches?

Rumfoord2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
A blue screen at shutdown is normal. A spinning wheel on the blue screen is also normal - were you running a lot of apps before shutting done? Did you recently clear caches?

Thank you very much for the response.

I usually wouldnt have a spinning wheel at shutdown, just a flash of blue screen. And now it wont shutdown at all. The wheel just keeps spinning.
Im not a very heavy app user. In the evenings I would usually only be running safari and I always quite before shutdown.
I did recently clear caches of a few apps I uninstalled.

Ive googled the blue screen issue a good bit and have tried zapping the pram, SMC reset, and repair permissions to no avail.
Actually I had repaired permissions for the first time around the time this problem started. I wondered if there could be a link.

I also dont understand why Techtool would be saying one thing and Disk utility another.
I ran a volume repair from my startup disk but said to be ok.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thank you very much for the response.

I usually wouldnt have a spinning wheel at shutdown, just a flash of blue screen. And now it wont shutdown at all. The wheel just keeps spinning.
Im not a very heavy app user. In the evenings I would usually only be running safari and I always quite before shutdown.
I did recently clear caches of a few apps I uninstalled.

Ive googled the blue screen issue a good bit and have tried zapping the pram, SMC reset, and repair permissions to no avail.
Actually I had repaired permissions for the first time around the time this problem started. I wondered if there could be a link.

I also dont understand why Techtool would be saying one thing and Disk utility another.
I ran a volume repair from my startup disk but said to be ok.
Techtool does a more in-depth file system scan than Disk Utility does. Hence why it finds errors Disk Utility does not.

Rumfoord2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Techtool does a more in-depth file system scan than Disk Utility does. Hence why it finds errors Disk Utility does not.

Ok cool, so there is definitely a volume issue. What is the best way to fix such an issue and what are some usual causes.

Thanks for the help

Rumfoord2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Are you noticing slowdowns anywhere else?

Yeah, an overall slow down. Lots of beachballs when opening safari and other apps.

I wanted to run Techtool to try a repair but it seems that the installation disk that came with applecare isnt bootable.

Rumfoord2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Could be that your hard drive is dying a slow death.

Really? Thats not good. Hmmm so I guess I should do a clean install and see if the problem reoccurs? Is that the only way to determine if my harddrive is in fact dying?
Does the apple hardware test cover harddrives? I'll take a look at that.

Techtool did pass my harddrive in the surface scan so could this just be messed up files? Im not familiar with how the volume structure works.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Really? Thats not good. Hmmm so I guess I should do a clean install and see if the problem reoccurs? Is that the only way to determine if my harddrive is in fact dying?
Does the apple hardware test cover harddrives? I'll take a look at that.

Techtool did pass my harddrive in the surface scan so could this just be messed up files? Im not familiar with how the volume structure works.

The best thing to do is a clean install to rule out any possible software issues. If the problem still occurs, it's likely the hard drive. The Apple Hardware Test does cover hard drives, but not extensively. Best thing to do is to bring it into an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.