Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
So my MacBook Pro decided not to turn on this morning; well, the light turns on, it just shows a blank screen (no start up chime comes on, doesn't even boot into the OS).

The Genius said the issue isn't the NVIDIA card as the computer doesn't even fully boot on. So my MacBook Pro is 2 years out of warranty, and they decided to give me a new Logic Board free of charge.

This is some great customer service.

Anyways, what to expect with Logic Board replacements? Is it more likely that the Logic Board won't fail again now? Or is it more likely that this will turn into a vicious cycle of repairing?

Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If the issue was the logic board or something soldered in it, then a new one should fix the issue. However, 8600M GT is known to fail so it can fail in the future

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
That's what I'm afraid of. I wonder if I could have just got store credit instead of the Logic Board & gotten a new Mac?!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
That's what I'm afraid of. I wonder if I could have just got store credit instead of the Logic Board & gotten a new Mac?!

If they said it wasn't the GPU but will issue you a courtesy anyway why would they pay you for an out of warranty repair??????

skidmarc

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
The logic board is only one piece of your puzzle. It may work, it may not. There are a few things that could be wrong, but the logic board is a good place to start.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
If they said it wasn't the GPU but will issue you a courtesy anyway why would they pay you for an out of warranty repair??????

All I meant was that if they're going to provide me a logic board (which costs $) and perform labor on it (which costs $), I would rather trade that for instore credit.

For example, lets say the logic board costs Apple $250 and labor would cost $50, I would rather have $300 store credit towards a new Mac.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
All I meant was that if they're going to provide me a logic board (which costs $) and perform labor on it (which costs $), I would rather trade that for instore credit.

For example, lets say the logic board costs Apple $250 and labor would cost $50, I would rather have $300 store credit towards a new Mac.

They don't do such a thing. Your computer is long out of warranty. They could have rightfully sent you home with nothing. Take the repair that would have cost you big cash and be thankful for their generosity.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Apple's already bought the logic board, and considering how far that machine it out of warranty, they probably aren't using many of them anymore. They probably had some spare logic boards they didn't want to go to waste.

That's entirely different than Apple giving you credit for a new machine.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Apple's already bought the logic board, and considering how far that machine it out of warranty, they probably aren't using many of them anymore. They probably had some spare logic boards they didn't want to go to waste.

That's entirely different than Apple giving you credit for a new machine.

FYI...I'm plenty thankful for them repairing free of charge. I expected to be told that I'd have to pay $400 for a flat repair fee or $900 for a new Logic Board.

I was actually planning to get a new Mac (my current Mac isn't cutting it) & I was just curious if they ever did such things.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I was actually planning to get a new Mac (my current Mac isn't cutting it) & I was just curious if they ever did such things.

Once you've received your MBP after it has been repaired, you can always sell it & put the money you get for it towards a new MBP. :D

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Once you've received your MBP after it has been repaired, you can always sell it & put the money you get for it towards a new MBP. :D

That is true. But I wonder what value a 3 year Mac gets that has a replaced logic board and a timebomb for a video card :(

Either way, I'll see if any of my friends are interested.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
I got the free logic board too, but even the new GPU that's soldered on it, it still acts up once in awhile.

I was watching Dr. House the other night and it freaked out. :eek:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
The GPU is hardly a time bomb.

I've had one motherboard replacement when my 8600M partially failed. Two years later, it's still good.

You could sell it, give it away as a present, or keep it and use it as a backup, or media PC.

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
At least around here, your machine would sell for more than $300. Get it fixed and sell it if you are wanting to upgrade.

AF08

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Huntington Beach
Logic Board Replacement

My friends 07 MBP was having screen issues.. distorted image on the screen.. Once I saw that, I knew it was the NVIDIA card issue.. so we took into the Apple, they ran a diagnostic test, and it passed.. they say there was nothing they could do about it....

We took it to a Apple Certified Reseller/Repair place a few blocks away, they ran a different hardware test , and they told us, "yup, your covered under the recall.. I've never seen a computer fail it so fast"

Point is, don't trust geniuses all the time. :D

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
so we took into the Apple, they ran a diagnostic test, and it passed.. they say there was nothing they could do about it....

Mine passed the Nvidia test too, but the Genius was able to rework the
Apple system so that it would qualify for a new logic board replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.