Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Coming from every version of the iphone since it's inception, switching over to Verizon iPhone has been great except for 1 major glitch I discovered. While I was in a current call, I received another call and was able to hold & answer just like on the AT&T iPhone. The screen said "multiple calls" and I got an option to "swap" between the 2 active calls, however the "merge" option was grayed out (unavailable) so i couldn't conference the two active calls. When i hung up with one of the calls, i did not get the option to go back to the other call -- when i ended the one call, it ended both calls. i called one of the Apple stores and they were baffled. i tried a test on my wife's Verizon iPhone as well, and the same thing happened. Anyone else have this problem?

adeedew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Thanks for that link. Good to know its not my phone and good to know apple and verizon said nothing about this going into the purchase, um, wow, great, just great

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Some other known CDMA technology issues:

1. When you exchange long text messages with non-Verizon phones, they get split up into 160-character chunks. GSM phones (AT&T iPhones) are smart enough to reconstitute those chunks into one more readable, consolidated message.

2. When you’re on a call, you can’t simultaneously check a Web site or send e-mail over the cellular network.

3. If the top of your screen says “3G,” an indication that you’re in a high-speed Internet area of Verizon’s network, incoming calls take priority and interrupt your online connection. If you’re online in an older, 2G area, you stay online and the call goes directly to voice mail.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Some other known CDMA technology issues:

1. When you exchange long text messages with non-Verizon phones, they get split up into 160-character chunks. GSM phones (AT&T iPhones) are smart enough to reconstitute those chunks into one more readable, consolidated message.
Umm... no. GSM iPhones also split long texts into 160 character segments. This happens to me frequently on my AT&T iPhone. It's a limitation of the SMS protocol, but as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Umm... no. GSM iPhones also split long texts into 160 character segments. This happens to me frequently on my AT&T iPhone. It's a limitation of the SMS protocol, but as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

When I would receive an SMS longer than 160 characters from another AT&T smart phone the messages would could through as a full long message. When I received a message from any non smart phone or non att customer they would be split, usually the 2nd part of the message first.

With my new Verizon iPhone they are always split even from Verizon customers. Again, 2nd message always comes first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.