Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxulive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Canada
Hey everyone,

I am planning to buy a MBA from the online Apple Store but sort of ran into a dilemma and hope you guys can help me make the best decision.

Basically with the student discount:
13" MBA 128 GB SSD upgraded to 4 GB ram for $1399

OR
Refurbished MBA with 256 GB SSD and 2 GB ram also for $1399

I am so torn! Which one should I get? Down to the buck the 256 GB SSD is a good deal since a new one runs $300 more than a 128 GB model. I use my laptop mostly for casual things but I usually having several things running at once (iTunes, Safari, Word, Adium, etc).

So for the same amount of money, it's either 256 GB SSD vs. 4 GB ram. Which one should I go for?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Ram, while expensive as hell the SSD is upgradeable on your own down the line. Plus external storage options. You can't just plug more ram in.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010

i would wait for this to come up on refurb

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
How much stuff do you have to store? You can always attach more storage via usb or local network, or even the cloud, but you can't substitute for low RAM.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Hey everyone,

I am planning to buy a MBA from the online Apple Store but sort of ran into a dilemma and hope you guys can help me make the best decision.

Basically with the student discount:

OR
Refurbished MBA with 256 GB SSD and 2 GB ram also for $1399

I am so torn! Which one should I get? Down to the buck the 256 GB SSD is a good deal since a new one runs $300 more than a 128 GB model. I use my laptop mostly for casual things but I usually having several things running at once (iTunes, Safari, Word, Adium, etc).

So for the same amount of money, it's either 256 GB SSD vs. 4 GB ram. Which one should I go for?

Since you can't change your RAM, I get the 4Gb one of you want to spend for the 13" model.... I just got a NIB 11" air for $854 from our base PX but I was looking for a second laptop to carry and my other laptop I carry is an HP DM4 i5 with 8Gb Ram and a 80 Gb intel SSD (which covers my power needs)... SSD's are an item that can be upgraded (its a pain but can be done) and companies have already begun to make larger SSD's for the Airs which should hit the markets eventually.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
What a dilemma! I can't say for sure what I myself would have done - it would depend on my storage needs and my willingness to use external drives until I could get a new SSD later.

I think I would go for the one with 4 GB of RAM, since it's possible to replace the SSD but not the RAM. The latter is soldered onto the board, while the former isn't.

mxulive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Canada
Thanks everyone! Seems like the consensus is to get the 4 GB RAM over the 256 GB SSD... this just feels so hard to do since the latter choice is worth $200 more, Ughhhhh I am so torn... Maybe it's best to wait a few more days to see if a base model or a 4 GB RAM 256 GB SSD model turns up in the refurb store.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
You can't lose by waiting a bit... especially if you can wait long enough to save up enough dough to just go with the ultimate and put all this "being torn" stuff behind you :)

mxulive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Canada
You can't lose by waiting a bit... especially if you can wait long enough to save up enough dough to just go with the ultimate and put all this "being torn" stuff behind you :)

I wish I could, but $400 buys a lot of groceries for an irritable over-worked in-debt med student...

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Thanks everyone! Seems like the consensus is to get the 4 GB RAM over the 256 GB SSD... this just feels so hard to do since the latter choice is worth $200 more, Ughhhhh I am so torn... Maybe it's best to wait a few more days to see if a base model or a 4 GB RAM 256 GB SSD model turns up in the refurb store.

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/G0JH0LL/A
Here is the link for it. It will got $1529 when it becomes available. you could bookmark the link or use a dashboard webclip to stay in the loop.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
All these people are crazy. Storage space is WAY more important than RAM, assuming you have a lot to store. I've been using the 2GB version heavily and it's been just fine.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Get the 4gb ram, you'll always have options for more storage, but short of replacing your logic board, you'll have no options to upgrade the ram.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
All these people are crazy. Storage space is WAY more important than RAM, assuming you have a lot to store. I've been using the 2GB version heavily and it's been just fine.

Not everyone needs all of their data on their primary drive. The 13" has an SD card slot, plus 2 USB ports for external storage. Plus, there are third party options for larger internal storage. They are expensive right now, but in one or two years they will be cheaper. But the RAM is soldered in. I'd go for more RAM, particularly since the OP likes to run multiple applications at one time. RAM is still faster than the SSD.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

There are lots of us who don't need a lot of storage and use external storage for our needs. My 3yo iMac has used 192GB of 500--and 25 or so can be deleted if I feel like it since I moved my iTunes library to my Time Capsule external drive. Really, it is fine to say how you use your computer but everyone has their own methods of organization and what works for you won't work for others. I for one would rather have the 4GM RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.