Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Andipo
macrumors newbie

Question Leopard compatible with Facebook?

Currently I have OSX 10.3.9 and Facebook will not work. I have someone willing to upgrade me to 10.5, will FB work with this? What would happen if I upgrade but only have 512 MB SDRAM? I have read that I should have 1GB?
?? Also, what would my PowerBook G4 15inch 1.5 GHz be worth??- runs good but needs a new battery, missing a key, and titanium case dented/bent a bit.

Last edited by Andipo; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Andipo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:56 PM   #2
raysfan81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andipo View Post
Currently I have OSX 10.3.9 and Facebook will not work. I have someone willing to upgrade me to 10.5, will FB work with this? What would happen if I upgrade but only have 512 MB SDRAM? I have read that I should have 1GB?
?? Also, what would my PowerBook G4 15inch 1.5 GHz be worth??- runs good but needs a new battery, missing a key, and titanium case dented/bent a bit.
It has really has nothing to do with the OS itself. The problem is the browser you are using is outdated.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Download that and try it. It should work fine with 10.3.9.
raysfan81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Andipo
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfan81 View Post
It has really has nothing to do with the OS itself. The problem is the browser you are using is outdated.

Thank you very much for that....would there be any real benefits of upgrading to leopard? Would that improve its value much?

Quote:
Thank you very much for that....would there be any real benefits of upgrading to leopard? Would that improve its value much?
Should I remove my Safari if I download Classilla? Is there any drawback of having different browser apps?

Last edited by grapes911; Feb 13, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: consecutive posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
Yes, Facebook works just fine under both 10.4 and 10.5, and I can confirm this because I run both and have used it without issues on both. Flash games on Facebook are another story. There's not a whole lot to help Flash on PPC.

You would (officially) need an 867mhz (or greater) processor, and 512mb of ram, according to Apple's OS 10.5 requirements page.

Quote:
That's not so much for this thread, that would be more for The Marketplace to figure out. Create a "Feeler" thread for it, add a good description and some pictures, and users here will give you good and honest feedback regarding price.

Quote:
On your Powerbook? Possibly. I have no problems using Leopard on the iBook G4 in my signature with 1gb of ram, and no problem using it with the higher iMac G4 in my signature with 512mb of ram.

Sure, it's slower than Tiger, but not by much, and Time Machine is priceless to me alone for the simple backups of the entire system, and peace of mind I can seamlessly restore should something happen.

Quote:
Should I remove my Safari if I download Classilla? Is there any drawback of having different browser apps?
I personally wouldn't. I like having multiple browsers - I have options. There's no need to delete Safari unless you really want to. I personally have Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Andipo
macrumors newbie

Question Classilla..javascript disable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfan81 View Post

FB says my browser Javascript is disabled...what now?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

The most up to date browser for Panther is Camino 1.6.11 and I would suggest using it until you have a chance to upgrade. With 512MB of RAM, I really think you should upgrade to at least 1GB before going to Leopard or even Tiger.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:06 PM   #7
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

-i would upgrade your ram (yours can take up to 2 gigs and install is very easy) then leopard should be just fine...and with leopard you will be able to run fb no problems.

ram max: http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_c...y-of-macs.html

ram install: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...-GHz-RAM/339/1

ps: one other thing that could be slowing down your pb is the older harddrive....not to hard to change

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...lacement/345/1

as far as what it might be worth...i can buy one in good shape on craigs (cdn) for about $300-400...so one such as yours with needing battery,os,dents ect???....i would just keep it and upgrade ram and get your friend to install leopard....
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:34 PM   #8
g4 powerbookboy
macrumors regular

I have a g4 ibook 1.2/512 ram running leopard 10.5.8 just fine. I will be upgrading the ram shortly just to do it since i am planning on keeping it for quite some time. facebook runs just fine since i use safari 10.1.3
g4 powerbookboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs