Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacuser12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I have an iPad 64gb Wifi. I've noticed its getting overheated on right side only (when holding in portrait ). Is this normal? Anyone else facing the same problem?

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
It's called "warm" and is perfectly normal for a lot of electronic devices these days. It is not "overheating" unless it is functioning erratically or not at all. :)

jimmie32

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Beijing, CN
If it isn't warm, then it would be a problem. It's doing heat dissipation through the case, if the case didn't get warm after extended usage then it's a problem (hot air isn't coming out).

Electronics always get warm. Don't be alarmed unless it starts malfunctioning.

The logic board's on the right so it only gets warm that side.
(Go to ifixit and search for the iPad teardown to see what I'm talking about)

nedz06

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
It's called "warm" and is perfectly normal for a lot of electronic devices these days. It is not "overheating" unless it is functioning erratically or not at all. :)
543.jpg

I think its also a new way of conserving energy. :confused: most probably the heat sink is in its case.

imacuser12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
If it isn't warm, then it would be a problem. It's doing heat dissipation through the case, if the case didn't get warm after extended usage then it's a problem (hot air isn't coming out).

Electronics always get warm. Don't be alarmed unless it starts malfunctioning.

The logic board's on the right so it only gets warm that side.
(Go to ifixit and search for the iPad teardown to see what I'm talking about)

But my question is - Why just the right side? Is that where the battery resides? I'm headed to iFix after posting this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.