Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
weird..they forgot to ask the more important questions like would you want a backlit keyboards? or the IRS sensor back?

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
weird..they forgot to ask the more important questions like would you want a backlit keyboards? or the IRS sensor back?

1. Learn to type blind, you don't need a keyboard that will make your screen like a reflective POS.
2. "IRS sensor", learn about "RAS syndrome". You must be a person who uses his PIN Number at the ATM Machine to pay for a design of a CSS Style Sheet.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
1. Learn to type blind, you don't need a keyboard that will make your screen like a reflective POS.

Would be great if this elite pseudo-professional-learn-to-type-blind palaver would finally stop. There are a lot of situations it is good to have.

Backlighting is a great thing compared to all other solutions out there - looking at you my trusty but rusty ThinkPad - and, yes, 95% of casual users and about 50% of professional users, don't care to be able to blind-type. This includes actually many high level coders who never bothered to go to typing class.

But, I suppose, it is a good skill if one wants to slash at people wanting backlighting back. And you know what? You can turn it off!

my rant

PS: At night, your screen is bright, and you won't see the key's reflected light.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Hey Xeperu - way to go with the snarky attitude and unconstructive criticism :rolleyes:

greytmom - really interesting article, thanks for sharing!

Sifta

macrumors newbie
I'd like to chime in with the backlit keyboard debate:

i. My 11" replacement (for a stolen Rev B) is wonderful but I really miss the backlighting - it's winter and I have 3 or 4 hours daily work in Excel at the moment in low light - the loss of easy use is real and narks every time I strike the wrong key. It's all about the ability to subconsciously check the symbol on display not typing skills.

ii. Why can't Apple just resist the temptation to give with one hand (extra USB, mic function in the audio port, SD slot for the 13') and take with the other (keyboard and remote) ?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
2. "IRS sensor", learn about "RAS syndrome". You must be a person who uses his PIN Number at the ATM Machine to pay for a design of a CSS Style Sheet.

let's say I'm surfing the internet in a dark room and I want to stop for a second and check my email.

Let's say my password is R4qzp9GK1. Let's see you type that blind, smart guy.

Secondly, the backlit keyboard can be dimmed or turned off if the 'reflection' on the screen is killing you.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
let's say I'm surfing the internet in a dark room and I want to stop for a second and check my email.

Secondly, the backlit keyboard can be dimmed or turned off if the 'reflection' on the screen is killing you.

I can type a password like that without a problem in a dark room, however, the backlit keyboard was extremely nice to have when I had my MBP. But I'd rather have the higher res screen, SSD, and lighter weight design than the backlit keyboard.

- Joe

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I can type a password like that without a problem in a dark room, however, the backlit keyboard was extremely nice to have when I had my MBP. But I'd rather have the higher res screen, SSD, and lighter weight design than the backlit keyboard.

- Joe

I don't think they are mutually exclusive: I see no reason why the backlit keyboard could not be added back in.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Interesting article. Not sure how many are in the same boat as myself, but in order to make the MBA my "primary" computer, the advantages of the platform would be eliminated.

- larger screen
- bigger battery
- optical drive
- additional ports

Anything more and you'd be carrying around a brick. I really don't see the Air being someone's primary computer unless they're a student or just a web surfer/email type person.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It seems highly unusual for Apple to be doing a survey. They seem to be targeting people who use the MacBook Air as a secondary computer. Anyway, I like the form factor the way it is. The only suggestions I'd have are adding the backlit keyboard and a MicroSIM slot (that hopefully could be used with an existing iPhone or iPad plan).

kryca

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010

3. Learn to communicate in a public setting.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
3. Learn to communicate in a public setting.

The sarcasm (that really is true) on these forums is why I continue to come back to them. It is very interesting to see how some people can't imagine any other perspective but their own.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Got the survey - told them the Facetime camera sucks, and to add a backlit keyboard. ;)

Oh and the keyboard backlight controls - well, I said, I want to use it but haven't yet. :D

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010

Luckily my password is a bit more complex than that, and trust me, it's no problem to type blindly after a while. I'll still pass on the backlit keyboard,. 95% of computers don't have it, and I certainly don't need it on my "on-the-road-top".

And on the topic of "public speaker" my job involves lecturing 600 students at the same time. So..done!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Luckily my password is a bit more complex than that, and trust me, it's no problem to type blindly after a while. I'll still pass on the backlit keyboard,. 95% of computers don't have it, and I certainly don't need it on my "on-the-road-top".

And on the topic of "public speaker" my job involves lecturing 600 students at the same time. So..done!

I imagine that you would be good at lecturing.

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
This is going to jack up the cost on MBA and not to mention that those greedy carriers will try to make you sign up for a contract.

Why do we need to pay 3-4 monthly bills for data? No.
I have a smart phone and mobile hotspot router for 3G/4G connection. I don't need another contract. If they want to put it in as an option fine, but other than that... Please focus on other things like battery life, power and etc.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'd rather wifi tether from my iPhone. The last thing I want to do is sign up for another account with AT&T, Verizon or whomever. If they must, then just include an Express Card slot so I can choose my carrier.

And I think the back-lit keyboard is more of a status thing, where you turn it on at the coffee shop in the evening to show everyone that you're a true hipster (as if the glowing Apple on the lid isn't enough).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive: I see no reason why the backlit keyboard could not be added back in.

Agree completely. And to monaarts and Xeperu, please allow others the right to their preferences without condescension. I, too, love the backlit keyboard, it is especially useful in low lighting conditions, (northern Europe in deep winter) and would welcome some of the additional features mentioned.

To the OP, thanks for posting the survey.

Cheers

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I really like my Air, but it could never be my primary computer--not even the 13". It works as a secondary Mac. More cloud access would great for the Air because loading it with too much stuff I don't regularly use.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2004
I'm saving for a MacBook Air for a secondary/travel computer. I'm not sure I would want a built-in 3G radio for a particular wireless carrier, even if I could get a subsidized rate. I'd rather get a USB-based wireless antennae and have the freedom to choose my own service.

As for the epic keyboard debate ... I can blind type, but it certainly be handy if I'm on a night assignment and trying to write a story in my car. It's really not a deal breaker for me. If I had to hold out, it would be for more storage space or battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.