Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I'm trying to stream content from my Mac Mini to the tv in my bedroom. It doesn't need to be super high quality, it just needs to get there. AppleTV won't work because it's a tube tv, not hi def. I need something that will connect with RCA or coax. Any suggestions?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
pick up an older ATV1 and if your tv cannot do component, then you can jailbreak it to allow the green output to act as the video for composite.

probably can be done cheaper than buying a ATV2.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
It's basically plugging the yellow cable into the green port on the back of the ATV which gives you a black and white pic, then use a HDMI to DVI cable attached to a DVI to VGA adaptor to force a change to color, then a step or two with remote buttons to give you the proper resolution for a non-HD monitor.

(Apparantly the adaptor does something to the unit to trick it into giving you a color picture with a press or two of the remote. Once you have color, you just remove that cable/adaptor. $15-20 for both, but a necessary expense for a color picture.)

All very simple...although I have never tried it.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
What about Roku? I just came across it and it seems to do what Atv does and is compatible with older tvs. Anyone heard of it? Thoughts?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
What about Roku? I just came across it and it seems to do what Atv does and is compatible with older tvs. Anyone heard of it? Thoughts?

It will not work with iTunes content. If most of your video is from other sources, it should work.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I picked up a roku box last night and set it up. It works great, even over wifi, but I think I'm going to return it. It will play Netflix like a champ, but I was thinking it could access more online content. That with the inability to access my computer video library makes me think AppleTv is the way to go. I found a box online for about 40 bucks that will let me convert HDMI to RCA. We'll see how that works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.