Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxFreud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hi all,

I am ready to release an app to some of my friends who have volunteered as beta testers. I've been reading about the hoops I have to jump through, but one question I haven't found addressed anywhere:
If a beta tester has a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch, do I still have to go through the iOS provisioning portal drama?
If not, is there any reason to not test on jailbroken devices, since that would save a lot of headaches?

Thanks
Max

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Hi all,

I am ready to release an app to some of my friends who have volunteered as beta testers. I've been reading about the hoops I have to jump through, but one question I haven't found addressed anywhere:
If a beta tester has a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch, do I still have to go through the iOS provisioning portal drama?
If not, is there any reason to not test on jailbroken devices, since that would save a lot of headaches?

Thanks
Max

I believe if you are jailbroken, you can just "Build and Archive" and then install the resulting IPA via that program that is generally used to pirate apps.

That way you don't have to go through all the crap of getting the UDIDs and creating provisioning profiles. That is honestly one of the few legitimate uses for that particular program. I'm not sure if there is any other way to install IPAs, legit or not, because I think iTunes checks the provisioning profile before it allows an app to be installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.