Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

What is wrong with my Internet: "Server not found"?

Everything was just fine yesterday until midnight, when I got back home Internet browsers could not connect to servers (Firefox, Safari & Google Chrome). I just keep getting "Server not found". I'm on wireless connection. I've restarted both laptop & router multiple times. I then tried connecting through ethernet, still nothing.

I called my ISP early morning today, I was on the phone with him for 15 min and he was more puzzeled than I. As he detects Internet traffic from my place and it shows that I am connected.

I was however able to use Skype perfectly with excellent connection.

I also typed http://74.125.43.106/ in the address bar, and Google succesfully loaded. So I am connected apperantly, I donnu whats up. I reald somewhere it could be a DNS issue, therefore you could flush it or something. I did that, yet no progress.

I am using a MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.5

Oh on a side note, there was a somewhat strong wind storm last night I thought that could have the cause of connection loss, but I kinda doubt it.

Any help?

Last edited by Hexakosioi; Feb 15, 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hexakosioi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

DNS settings

I just tried opening a radio app on my laptop I have, and thought I'd see how it would respond, I clicked on a station and it said "a domain could not be resolved. Please make sure your DNS settings are correct"

So I guess it is a DNS issue? What should I do?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Mal
macrumors 603

Try changing your DNS Servers (System Preferences -> Network) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) or 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS). They may be more reliable than your ISP's, and will at least help you diagnose this issue.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

I've tried all of the above still no success.

I tried this command I found : sudo changeip -checkhostname

and I got a command not found

This is so frustrating! And what the heck could of caused this?!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Nermal

changeip is not a standard command in OS X Client (it's only in Server).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

Oh I see. Hmm so what should I do next?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Nermal

Do you have another computer (or phone over Wi-Fi) that you can try on the same connection?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

No, this is the only computer. I am posting on here from my iPhone 3G network

I don't think I'd be able to use wifi from iPhone as i don't remeber the pass for the network I created it is automatically signs up in my computer.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:28 PM   #9
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Contact your ISP again. You need them to come out and fix the issue.
chasemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

I just did, they I should take it to tech guy or apple store.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:52 PM   #11
POHeerwig
macrumors member

"Server not found" - check router settings

It sounds like it can't sort out where it should connect, in which case it might be worth checking the following:

1. Are you using DHCP or a static address to connect? If you are "not" using DHCP - changing to it might help. If you are using a static address, check and make sure it's the correct address.

2. If you are using wep or wpa/wpa2 security, it might balk because it is unable to connect and wants your user/password information. (If you are uncertain, I'd go into your router and determine what your settings are. The router address is determined by the manufacturer, typically something like 192.168.1.1. If you've never set the password it "might" be open to you, otherwise you might be able to google the standard password) Since you seem to be unable to connect using a cable, my bets are on this!

Either way, getting into your router (with a cable) will give you a good headstart towards troubleshooting the issue.

Good luck!
POHeerwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:04 PM   #12
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
What about this. Plug directly into your modem via Ethernet and test your connection. If you can get a connection then you know it is your router. Then just reset your router to default settings and go from there.
chasemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

Umm I went to Futureshop and it couldn't connect to their network, same thing. They said they never seen anything like it and could not even diagnose the problem. I am gonna take it to the apple store, I mean they oughta know better.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Hexakosioi
macrumors newbie

Shhh ok I got it working haha. It was Hands Off, an app like little snitch, it was for some reason blocking connection. I don't remember using it recently, weird.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your time & help.

Ciao
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:35 PM   #15
sevmusic
macrumors newbie

My solution

I had the same issue. Only a few random sites would not work and gave me a "Server Not Found" error. I fixed with:

going into System Preferences > Network

select Wi-Fi from the left

click the Advanced... button

select the DNS tab

I had 2 entries here 4.4.2.2 and 4.2.2.2 (or something like that). I removed them with the "-" button at the bottom. Then I was able to connect to the websites I was getting errors on.
sevmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help