Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alixir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hi all,

Had a google around and can't find much on this and wondered whether anybody has seen this before or knows why this might be happening...The file server is a 10.6.6 Snow Leopard install with Sharepoints being mapped over both AFP and Samba. As an example of the current networked environment I have the following:

User A - Computer A: Windows 7 (Office Basic 2007 installed)
User B - Computer B: Intel iMac 10.6.6 with Office 2008 installed
User C - Server Administrative Account

A 'Management' AFP/SMB share that has permissions set on the root folder:

ACL:
User A - Allow/Full Control/This Folder,Child Folder, Child Files, All Descendants
User B - Allow/Full Control/This Folder,Child Folder, Child Files, All Descendants
User C - Allow/Full Control/This Folder,Child Folder, Child Files, All Descendants
Everyone - Deny/Read (So the share is hidden to other groups and users)

POSIX:
User C - Allow/Read Write/This Folder
Staff - No Access
Others - No Access
(I'm sure wheel should be here too??? - Couldn't find a way to add it!)

Now the problem is that when User A creates any type of office document and saves it, User B can see the documents in the share but when they click on it, the file vanishes from the share! When checking the permissions on the file itself, it seems that when User A creates or edits a new or existing file that the permissions get overwritten as:

User A - Read Write
Everyone - No Access

The same happens when User B creates an Office document and User A opens or edits it!

I also have Strict Locking enabled for the SMB protocol

Have I set the permissions incorrectly or is this just a generic SMB problem??

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.