Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

How do you download previously-purchased universal apps onto your iPhone?

I bought Rage HD on my iPad a couple months ago, and searching for "Rage HD universal" on Google seems to indicate that it's a universal app (along with the + sign on the price tag in the App Store). However, when I go to the App Store on my iPhone 4, it shows $1.99 and says "Buy" when I click it, even though I already bought it for iPad using the same Apple account.

What do I need to do to get this game onto my iPhone without buying it again?

Thanks
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:48 AM   #2
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Click Buy. It will ask you for your password and then tell you that you have already purchased it. Scary, but it works (assuming the app is the same as the one you bought).
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:48 AM   #3
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Well, there's 2 ways. Sync it to your phone through iTunes or "re-buy" it from the App Store. Once you hit "buy" it should notify you that you will get this update for free since you've already purchased it. It won't charge you a second time.

I think that's something Apple is looking into. Apps that have been previously purchased should say "install" and not "buy".
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:18 AM   #4
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Cool, that was exactly what I needed to do, thanks guys. Scared me for a sec though... I clicked buy, it asked me for my password, then it went right to the home screen with the "Loading" bar on the icon... then a second or two later, it finally told me it would be free. I had a mini panic attack during those two seconds though, over a measly $2... lol...

Thanks again guys, I always wondered how that worked.

Is there somewhere I can view all of my previously downloaded/purchased apps? Now I'm curious what else might be universal, haha...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Gen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Cool, that was exactly what I needed to do, thanks guys. Scared me for a sec though... I clicked buy, it asked me for my password, then it went right to the home screen with the "Loading" bar on the icon... then a second or two later, it finally told me it would be free. I had a mini panic attack during those two seconds though, over a measly $2... lol...

Thanks again guys, I always wondered how that worked.

Is there somewhere I can view all of my previously downloaded/purchased apps? Now I'm curious what else might be universal, haha...
iTunes. There's an "Apps" tab on the left hand side
Gen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:24 AM   #6
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
iTunes. There's an "Apps" tab on the left hand side
Ah, so I guess I gotta wait until I get home then. I think I'll also have to install this game at home too... No wi-fi at work, and it seems like downloading a 744 MB game could take days on Verizon's 3G, ha... Is there any way to cancel a download? The progress bar doesn't even show any blue yet...

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out - just tap the icon to pause it. I'll just resume when I'm on wi-fi.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:29 AM   #7
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Ah, so I guess I gotta wait until I get home then. I think I'll also have to install this game at home too... No wi-fi at work, and it seems like downloading a 744 MB game could take days on Verizon's 3G, ha... Is there any way to cancel a download? The progress bar doesn't even show any blue yet...
If you tap the app icon while an app is downloading it will pause it.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:42 AM   #8
optophobia
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
How to check if you have previously purchased - on Your iPhone

I have had this problem too. I don't want to risk accidentally buying a "similar" app by mistake, and therefore being out of pocket.

One way to do it from your iphone is to click and "reviews" and then click "write a review". If you have previously purchased the app, it will allow you to review it. If you have not, it will say something like "you can't review an app you havent purchased"
I have actually used this method successfully many times.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:43 AM   #9
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by optophobia View Post
I have had this problem too. I don't want to risk accidentally buying a "similar" app by mistake, and therefore being out of pocket.

One way to do it from your iphone is to click and "reviews" and then click "write a review". If you have previously purchased the app, it will allow you to review it. If you have not, it will say something like "you can't review an app you havent purchased"
I have actually used this method successfully many times.
Hmm nice tip, thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps