Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
So Verizon is offering Apple Store employees an awesome discount...

Apple Store employees would have to buy the Verizon iPhone at retail price, so $599 or $699, but the service deal is $25 a month which includes:

1500 Minutes
Unlimited Texting
Unlimited Data
Unlimited Nights and Weekends
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile.

This makes me want to work at an Apple Store.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Damn that's a great deal.... We need Sprint and T Mobile to get the iPhone also. I want all the major carriers to fighting over us

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not a bad deal at all IMO. Some will probably complain about having to pay full retail.

Yes, but that's the brilliant part. I think they can use their employee perks in the Apple store to buy the phone at cheaper than full price. So Verizon doesn't have to give the phone out cheaply...they know these are people who already have access to discounted iPhones.

It's a very smart move. Right now I'm sure that over 90% of Apple employees with iPhones are on at&t. When it comes time to talk to a customer about which service to go with they'll probably talk about their own experiences the most.

Verizon is clearly trying to even up those odds.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yes, but that's the brilliant part. I think they can use their employee perks in the Apple store to buy the phone at cheaper than full price. So Verizon doesn't have to give the phone out cheaply...they know these are people who already have access to discounted iPhones.

It's a very smart move. Right now I'm sure that over 90% of Apple employees with iPhones are on at&t. When it comes time to talk to a customer about which service to go with they'll probably talk about their own experiences the most.

Very good point.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010

Might want to fact-check before you post. Apple Store employees do NOT receive discounts on iPhones.

Kblakeshot

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Indiana
WHAAAT.. This is crazy. Verizon gives this AMAZING deal to Apple Employees, while telling their own Verizon Employees that they can not even buy the iPhone yet subsidized or unsubsidized. And if they do they will definitely lose their Verizon discount and could possibly face termination.

Great move Verizon, show your OWN employees how much you love them....

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Eh... Verizon is NOT worth it, the moment you switch to Verizon you'll lose simultaneous voice/data, lose faster 3G speeds, and possible speed caps...

But I guess these cheap plans might be more than enough to make some to make the switch...and it'll relieve AT&T's network a bit too

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
WHAAAT.. This is crazy. Verizon gives this AMAZING deal to Apple Employees, while telling their own Verizon Employees that they can not even buy the iPhone yet subsidized or unsubsidized. And if they do they will definitely lose their Verizon discount and could possibly face termination.

Great move Verizon, show your OWN employees how much you love them....

IIRC, AT&T has done the same thing for the previous iPhones. Basically, they want to put the customer first. If you work for a carrier, you're probably going to be using their service (at a discount) anyway.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Might want to fact-check before you post. Apple Store employees do NOT receive discounts on iPhones.

Might want to learn to read before you post.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I'll start fact checking when they start paying me to be here.

Until then I'll be sure about the things I'm sure about and put "I think" before the things I'm not sure about.

Best I can do, sorry.

I can read just fine... You did say "think," but the rest of your post is 100% based on that (false) assumption:

The rest of my post is clearly based on the $25 a month plan. That's false?

I got 1 fact wrong. That makes everything else false as well?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd take this deal in a heartbeat. Overtime the savings is substantial and VZW's network for me is much better than AT&T.

Kblakeshot

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Indiana
IIRC, AT&T has done the same thing for the previous iPhones. Basically, they want to put the customer first. If you work for a carrier, you're probably going to be using their service (at a discount) anyway.

BUT the reason we cant get it is because we get the discount and they want to make sure everyone that is paying full price for their plans has first dibbs (which is VERY understandable), but then they go and give out this to them & even our discount isnt this good!! I pay around $56 a month for the same plan they are giving for $25 to Apple Employees! So Apple Employees are getting the best of both -- The Phone & The Discount!

Like I said before... this is crazy..

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Eh... Verizon is NOT worth it, the moment you switch to Verizon you'll lose simultaneous voice/data, lose faster 3G speeds, and possible speed caps...

But I guess these cheap plans might be more than enough to make some to make the switch...and it'll relieve AT&T's network a bit too

I don't work at an Apple store so I'll stay with Att, but I'd give up simultaneous voice/data, faster 3G speeds, and speed caps for $25 a month.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
BUT the reason we cant get it is because we get the discount and they want to make sure everyone that is paying full price for their plans has first dibbs (which is VERY understandable), but then they go and give out this to them & even our discount isnt this good!! I pay around $56 a month for the same plan they are giving for $25 to Apple Employees! So Apple Employees are getting the best of both -- The Phone & The Discount!

Like I said before... this is crazy..

Well, you also have to take into account that Apple is now selling the same product for competing carriers (AT&T and Verizon). By offering special deals to Apple employees (the employees who are dealing with potential customers), Verizon is probably trying to sway them in their direction. I would assume that AT&T offers some sort of discount on their plans to Apple employees, too.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ok, I've spent some more time fact checking. Everything I read states that they get 10% discounts on anything in the store and an annual 25% discount. I can find no mention of iPhones being excluded from that.

Obviously there's no official site for this, but do you have any kind of site that claims employees can't use their store-wide discount on iPhones?

Because I can't find one. I'm assuming you have one in mind since you're so certain of this.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Ok, I've spent some more time fact checking. Everything I read states that they get 10% discounts on anything in the store and an annual 25% discount. I can find no mention of iPhones being excluded from that.

Obviously there's no official site for this, but do you have any kind of site that claims employees can't use their store-wide discount on iPhones?

Because I can't find one. I'm assuming you have one in mind since you're so certain of this.

Don't really need a site if you know an employee...

But here are a couple (I think iPad just recently became eligible):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-hardware-accessories/102528-apple-employee-discount.html said:
Yes Apple employees DO get a discount on Computers, iPods, and accessories. There is NO discount for the iPhone.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
potaco: there are no discounts in iPhones or iPads for friends and family. Apple employees can get discounted rates on iPhones and iPads, but only when demand is met for consumers. If an Apple employee wants one at launch, they will not be getting a discount. If they want to wait a few months, then they can probably get the discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.