Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Application to get photos off of iPhone 4?

I slicked my hard drive to freshen it up. I used iPhoto 09 to sync up my iPhone wallpapers however I've tried using a application called "iPhone Explorer" to get them off but it only allows me to see photos I've actually taken with the camera or saved but it won't let me view or remove/copy the ones I had been syncing with iPhoto.

Ideas?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Liberal
macrumors member

I use Image Capture. It's pre-installed on every Mac. Just open the program, plug in the iPhone and select which pictures/videos you want to import. That's all there is to it. It's a very easy way to get pictures off your iPhone.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Chumburro2U
macrumors 6502

Dropbox

I use Dropbox because u don't have to connect your phone via cable to get your photos off. It's all done wirelessly.
Chumburro2U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Liberal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumburro2U View Post
I use Dropbox because u don't have to connect your phone via cable to get your photos off. It's all done wirelessly.
Never thought about that. That's a great idea.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
I use Image Capture. It's pre-installed on every Mac. Just open the program, plug in the iPhone and select which pictures/videos you want to import. That's all there is to it. It's a very easy way to get pictures off your iPhone.

I may be looking at this wrong but I tried it and it only lets me view photos that are taken or saved with the camera. It won't let me view/copy the ones from iPhoto.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:06 AM   #6
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I may be looking at this wrong but I tried it and it only lets me view photos that are taken or saved with the camera. It won't let me view/copy the ones from iPhoto.
I think you are confused... If you synced them with iPhoto, then they are stored on your hard drive. Right click on the iPhoto library and click Show Package Contents.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Mystikal
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumburro2U View Post
Yeah but to take pics you have to open dropbox, then go to a folder, then hit the camera icon.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulbador View Post
I think you are confused... If you synced them with iPhoto, then they are stored on your hard drive. Right click on the iPhoto library and click Show Package Contents.

I don't have iPhoto installed [I got rid of it] and I slicked my hard drive. I'm trying to get them OFF of my iPhone and onto my computer so I can start syncing them again.

I can email each on individually but that would be quite cumbersome with about 100 wallpapers.

I've tried drop box but that would take over 100 times clicking and saving. I thought there was a program that would let me view photos but it seems it won't let you view or move iPhoto files that were synced unless someone knows of one.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Liberal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I don't have iPhoto installed [I got rid of it] and I slicked my hard drive. I'm trying to get them OFF of my iPhone and onto my computer so I can start syncing them again.

I can email each on individually but that would be quite cumbersome with about 100 wallpapers.

I've tried drop box but that would take over 100 times clicking and saving. I thought there was a program that would let me view photos but it seems it won't let you view or move iPhoto files that were synced unless someone knows of one.
Oh, so not the Camera Roll photos? If that's the case, I'm not sure. Sorry.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:33 AM   #10
huskerchad
macrumors regular

I don't know where non-camera roll photos are. A couple of options to try would be iPhoneBrowser and iFunBox. Poke around and see if you can find them.
huskerchad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Chumburro2U
macrumors 6502

And??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Yeah but to take pics you have to open dropbox, then go to a folder, then hit the camera icon.
Would your finger hurt?
Chumburro2U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502

I can't help you with getting the pics off the phone, but I hope you understand that they are not the same resolution as what you originally had on your hard drive. There is no way to get back what you had on the hard drive - just tiny iPhone-ized versions of what you used to have.
wacky4alanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:21 PM   #13
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

From the Apple support page for syncing photos with an iOS device: "Pictures that have been synced from your computer to your device cannot be reimported back to your computer. Only pictures in the Camera Roll or Saved Photos can be imported from your device to your computer. If you need to retrieve synced photos from your device, email them directly from the device to yourself and then copy them from the emails to your computer."
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:31 PM   #14
patp

i use windows vista and when i plug my iphone into the usb port - after it finishes synching. I click on my computer and can see the Iphones drive. Click it and you'll the stored photos. You can copy and paste to another drive, drag and drop etc.

I googled how to transfer iphone 4 pics to pc and found a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stu7SvaghAs

worked for me. hope it helps.
patp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:45 PM   #15
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
Wow, cool, I had no idea I even had that on my computer. That's much better than using iPhoto which insisted on taking every single picture off at once (far as I could tell). And insisted I either erase them all, or keep them so when I wanted to get images again I'd have to reget all the ones I already downloaded (no way of saying don't download it if you haven't already or just even manually picking and choosing). iPhoto was fine with my camera where I didn't want to keep the photos on it (as I didn't care about having them on there to show off to people unlike my iPhone that I do want to keep some as a photo album to show people when I'm out on the go).

Learn new things everyday (watch, some one will tell me I was just using iPhoto wrong).
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:59 PM   #16
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
Wow, cool, I had no idea I even had that on my computer. That's much better than using iPhoto which insisted on taking every single picture off at once (far as I could tell). And insisted I either erase them all, or keep them so when I wanted to get images again I'd have to reget all the ones I already downloaded (no way of saying don't download it if you haven't already or just even manually picking and choosing). iPhoto was fine with my camera where I didn't want to keep the photos on it (as I didn't care about having them on there to show off to people unlike my iPhone that I do want to keep some as a photo album to show people when I'm out on the go).

Learn new things everyday (watch, some one will tell me I was just using iPhoto wrong).
iPhoto '08 (version 7) and newer allow you to Import Selected or Import All. Clicking on an individual picture or holding and clicking multiple images will light up the Import Selected button. Also, there is a checkmark to hide previously imported photos if you leave pictures on the camera.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:20 PM   #17
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
iPhoto '08 (version 7) and newer allow you to Import Selected or Import All. Clicking on an individual picture or holding and clicking multiple images will light up the Import Selected button. Also, there is a checkmark to hide previously imported photos if you leave pictures on the camera.
Ah, apparently I have version 6 (and really too poor right now to justify buying 7 just for that).

But thanks for the info. At least I know they improved what I saw was a major flaw.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone