Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I slicked my hard drive to freshen it up. I used iPhoto 09 to sync up my iPhone wallpapers however I've tried using a application called "iPhone Explorer" to get them off but it only allows me to see photos I've actually taken with the camera or saved but it won't let me view or remove/copy the ones I had been syncing with iPhoto.

Ideas?

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
I use Image Capture. It's pre-installed on every Mac. Just open the program, plug in the iPhone and select which pictures/videos you want to import. That's all there is to it. It's a very easy way to get pictures off your iPhone.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I use Image Capture. It's pre-installed on every Mac. Just open the program, plug in the iPhone and select which pictures/videos you want to import. That's all there is to it. It's a very easy way to get pictures off your iPhone.

I may be looking at this wrong but I tried it and it only lets me view photos that are taken or saved with the camera. It won't let me view/copy the ones from iPhoto.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I may be looking at this wrong but I tried it and it only lets me view photos that are taken or saved with the camera. It won't let me view/copy the ones from iPhoto.

I think you are confused... If you synced them with iPhoto, then they are stored on your hard drive. Right click on the iPhoto library and click Show Package Contents.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I think you are confused... If you synced them with iPhoto, then they are stored on your hard drive. Right click on the iPhoto library and click Show Package Contents.

I don't have iPhoto installed [I got rid of it] and I slicked my hard drive. I'm trying to get them OFF of my iPhone and onto my computer so I can start syncing them again.

I can email each on individually but that would be quite cumbersome with about 100 wallpapers.

I've tried drop box but that would take over 100 times clicking and saving. I thought there was a program that would let me view photos but it seems it won't let you view or move iPhoto files that were synced unless someone knows of one.

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
I don't have iPhoto installed [I got rid of it] and I slicked my hard drive. I'm trying to get them OFF of my iPhone and onto my computer so I can start syncing them again.

I can email each on individually but that would be quite cumbersome with about 100 wallpapers.

I've tried drop box but that would take over 100 times clicking and saving. I thought there was a program that would let me view photos but it seems it won't let you view or move iPhoto files that were synced unless someone knows of one.

Oh, so not the Camera Roll photos? If that's the case, I'm not sure. Sorry. :eek:

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I don't know where non-camera roll photos are. A couple of options to try would be iPhoneBrowser and iFunBox. Poke around and see if you can find them.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I can't help you with getting the pics off the phone, but I hope you understand that they are not the same resolution as what you originally had on your hard drive. There is no way to get back what you had on the hard drive - just tiny iPhone-ized versions of what you used to have.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
From the Apple support page for syncing photos with an iOS device: "Pictures that have been synced from your computer to your device cannot be reimported back to your computer. Only pictures in the Camera Roll or Saved Photos can be imported from your device to your computer. If you need to retrieve synced photos from your device, email them directly from the device to yourself and then copy them from the emails to your computer."

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i use windows vista and when i plug my iphone into the usb port - after it finishes synching. I click on my computer and can see the Iphones drive. Click it and you'll the stored photos. You can copy and paste to another drive, drag and drop etc.

I googled how to transfer iphone 4 pics to pc and found a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stu7SvaghAs

worked for me. hope it helps.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Wow, cool, I had no idea I even had that on my computer. That's much better than using iPhoto which insisted on taking every single picture off at once (far as I could tell). And insisted I either erase them all, or keep them so when I wanted to get images again I'd have to reget all the ones I already downloaded (no way of saying don't download it if you haven't already or just even manually picking and choosing). iPhoto was fine with my camera where I didn't want to keep the photos on it (as I didn't care about having them on there to show off to people unlike my iPhone that I do want to keep some as a photo album to show people when I'm out on the go).

Learn new things everyday (watch, some one will tell me I was just using iPhoto wrong).

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Wow, cool, I had no idea I even had that on my computer. That's much better than using iPhoto which insisted on taking every single picture off at once (far as I could tell). And insisted I either erase them all, or keep them so when I wanted to get images again I'd have to reget all the ones I already downloaded (no way of saying don't download it if you haven't already or just even manually picking and choosing). iPhoto was fine with my camera where I didn't want to keep the photos on it (as I didn't care about having them on there to show off to people unlike my iPhone that I do want to keep some as a photo album to show people when I'm out on the go).

Learn new things everyday (watch, some one will tell me I was just using iPhoto wrong).

iPhoto '08 (version 7) and newer allow you to Import Selected or Import All. Clicking on an individual picture or holding :apple: and clicking multiple images will light up the Import Selected button. Also, there is a checkmark to hide previously imported photos if you leave pictures on the camera.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
iPhoto '08 (version 7) and newer allow you to Import Selected or Import All. Clicking on an individual picture or holding :apple: and clicking multiple images will light up the Import Selected button. Also, there is a checkmark to hide previously imported photos if you leave pictures on the camera.

Ah, apparently I have version 6 (and really too poor right now to justify buying 7 just for that).

But thanks for the info. At least I know they improved what I saw was a major flaw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.