Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

View Poll Results: What type of Apps do you use for the iPad?
I only use iPad apps for my iPad. 11 47.83%
I only use iPhone apps for my iPad. 0 0%
I use both iPad and iPhone apps for my iPad. 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Mr. Incredible
macrumors 6502a

What Type of Apps Are Best?

When buying Apps for the iPad, do you buy iPad apps, or iPhone apps that you can use on the iPad as well?

I ask this for many reasons.

iPad apps are usually more expensive than iPhone apps, for example, Angry Birds for iPhone costs $0.99, whereas Angry Birds HD for iPad costs $4.99. Don't get me wrong, I do buy iPad apps, but usually when it's on sale, rarely for $4.99. And the apps I have are usually free also.

One reason to why I usually get iPhone apps, is because it's cheaper, and I make sure that they are compatible with iPad also, so I can play it on both screens.

But does the app look bad when using an iPhone/iPod app on the iPad?

Want:
Samsung Galaxy Tab | Mac Mini

Mr. Incredible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

I can't stand the standard iPhone version apps on my iPad. Blowing it up to the 2x makes it even worse. I have a thing with jaggies... they make my skin crawl. lol. But seriously, I only have iPad Apps on my iPad. I have many on my iPhone that I would love to have on it but as I said, I can't stand it.

Maybe if I didn't also own the iPhone it would be different but as it is, I like to keep the apps on the respective device.
Kadin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Mr. Incredible
macrumors 6502a

The apps that are compatible with all 3 iOS devices, do you have to do the 2x zoom on them, or will it already be full screen with nice quality?

I see a game called, Archteype, it's a first person shooter, looks great for a $0.99, and it's compatible with all 3, but will it look good?

Want:

Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible View Post
The apps that are compatible with all 3 iOS devices, do you have to do the 2x zoom on them, or will it already be full screen with nice quality?

I see a game called, Archteype, it's a first person shooter, looks great for a $0.99, and it's compatible with all 3, but will it look good?
The iPad version is $1.99, that is the one you should use on an iPad.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Mr. Incredible
macrumors 6502a

So, all the apps that say its compatible with all 3 iOS devices, those are the ones that require you to use the 2x zoom button on the iPad?

If so, then damn, I've been buying the wrong apps... :/

Want:

Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

The apps with a + icon next to them in the app store indicate the app is universal and will fit the screen fully on the ipad & iphone. All iPhone apps I believe will work on the iPad but they look like crap imo.

So if you want apps for ipad then make sure your looking at the ipad section in the app store.

If your jailbroken then you can use fullforce which forces iphone apps on the ipad to be fullscreen.
Bathplug is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:29 AM   #7
maflynn

The best types of apps are what's written for the iPad, but if there's no iPad type for a given need. Wouldn't that make the iPhone app the best type for that need?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

The only non-iPad app I have on my iPad is Spotify (because they still don't have an iPad native app out) and it annoys the hell out of me every time I use it.

Fortunately, I can start it then leave it running in the background so the annoyance is short-lived.

It's not just the jaggies that annoy me with iPhone apps on the iPad - you also get the iPhone keyboard instead of the iPad one.

I'd actually prefer it if the iPad didn't run iPhone only apps at all: It might force developers to actually produce more iPad native ones
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
A couple of my iPhone apps run better than the iPad specific apps...
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:16 AM   #10
braddick
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
A couple of my iPhone apps run better than the iPad specific apps...
Would you please tell us what those are?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Gryzor
macrumors 6502

The second option in this poll is ridiculous. Who in their right mind would buy an iPad and only use iPhone apps on it?! ROLMFAO!

I try to keep my iPad apps native, or at least universal so ideal for both. In fact, right now I don't think I have any iPhone apps on my iPad...
Gryzor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Tomple
macrumors 6502a

I HATE pixel-doubling an app
Strains my eyes if I dont and horribly ugly if I do :P
Atlas
Tomple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories